PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Wires

alman
03-30-2004, 16:53
Looking For Glow Plug Wires for 1996 6.5 TD or
possibly the OEM part # Dealer ony lists # for Entire Harness.

1996 1 Ton Crew Cab Dually 96000mi No Mods. :rolleyes:

AJ650
03-31-2004, 02:06
The wires are just (I think) 14 ga with female spade clips on them aren't they?

gmctd
03-31-2004, 04:18
Teflon insulation is used in the turbo area, the rest are Fusible Link wire, with silicone insulation.

tom.mcinerney
03-31-2004, 20:50
Aside from teflon jumpers to #2,#4, mine silicone insul, labled, ".8 sq mm ".

MTTwister
04-01-2004, 09:47
gmctd - What exactly is Fusible Link Wire - my impression is - it's a short length of undersized wire that'll burn out first. Anything Really special about it?

gmctd
04-01-2004, 13:55
The link wire can fuse open inside the silicone insulation, usually without melting thru and damaging other wiring and stuff.

Serves a dual function in the glow plug circuitry, as silicone insulation is little effected by thermal radiation from the exhaust manifolds.

Within limits - teflon is the choice beyond those limits.

Won't short-circuit and melt - won't melt and short-circuit.

Good stuff..... ;)

Cowracer
04-01-2004, 14:05
and slightly off topic...

If you have a Gas powered GM vehicle with the HEI ignition, be aware! If the voltage regulator sticks, when the engine is shut off, it can cause current to go directly to ground through a wire to the distributor.

The wire in question is actually a fusible link for just this reason. BUT! It is very common for someone in the past to have blown this link and replaced it with standard wire. If so, this vehicle WILL catch fire if the voltage regulator stick again.

I was a volunteer fireman for 12 years, and I personally seen at least 10 GM vehicles burn while parked in this manner (one even at the pumps at a gas station, and wasnt THAT fun!)

If you have a Gasser, check that link before its too late!

Tim

gerickson
04-09-2004, 18:51
Alman,
I too went looking for these glow plug wires last fall. I recall they

wthif
04-10-2004, 15:21
I think this is the part number for the plastic connector. 12020274 I got it from the dealership by accident. You'll need to check with them before you order it because if I remember correctly it costs a lot for what you get. I think it is three dollars for one plastic connector. This doesn't include the metal conecter on the inside of it. Also I was looking it up for a 85 6.2.