PDA

View Full Version : backing up

jared
01-14-2003, 11:26
does any body with a six speed have any trouble backing up with a load.(15,000-22,000 GCWR)I have to put it in low range fourwheel drive to back up because the transmision vibrates. It feels like the trucks about to fall apart. And I'm not backing up a hill either. It will do it backing up on level pavement. I'm letting out on the clutch easy. It starts it when the truck starts moving backwards and will finally level out when you take your foot of the clutch. I'm not jerking it. It fills like the the clutch is getting hot spots on it. I have 22,ooo miles on it and it done ever since the first load was hooked to it which was around 1,000 miles. The truck was made on a Monday so I'm wondering if that why I'm having all the promblems with it. The front end vibrates when you turn on rough road going slow. The power steering had an o-ring bad on it when I got it and know the cylinder leaking on it. They replaced the clutch pedal assembly and still didn't get the sqeak out of it when you push the clutch pedal in. Theres air coming thru the weather strip on the door know. And where the to doors close at theres a rattle there and I have yet to know whats doing that. But other than that I like the truck.

2002 Duramx ZF-6 trans, Extended Cab, White
BD exhaust brake
Rhino liner
Husky Floor Mats
UWS Toolbox

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: jared ]

[ 01-16-2003: Message edited by: jared ]</p>

JimWilson
01-15-2003, 12:07
Is your foot still on the clutch when this happens, or is reverse completely engaged?

MaxRock
01-15-2003, 12:37
Jared, first let me welcome you to TDP! I hope you find this site as useful and informative as I have.

To date, I have approximately 38k miles on my '02 and have not experienced the vibration problem you stated. But, the largest load that I have backed up weighed in around 7 to 8,000 pounds.

MaxRock

Jelisfc
01-15-2003, 13:09
No problems here. 15k to 20k is quite a load.

It sounds like something may be loose in the rear suspension that's allowing the axle to wrap too much in reverse. Just watch the suspension flex as a semi takes off. You may be unloading the rear spring shackles and getting a bounce. I will assume you aren't trying to dump the clutch or do something out of the ordinary.

MaxRock
01-17-2003, 14:31
Jared,

I mis-read your post originally. You said 15,000 to 20,000 GCWR, read it as trailer weight. As I posted, my trailer weighs around 7,000 plus 6,000 for the truck and I'm at 13,000. Close to the GCWR you stated. No trouble with the clutch or transmission operation.

Please keep us informed on the outcome...very interested in whats causing the rough operation.

MaxRock

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: MaxRock ]</p>

Colorado Kid
01-17-2003, 15:35
Mine doesn't act that way either, and I've been right in there for loads. GCW right around 17,500 - 18,000 has been my maximum, and I backed that load up several times without a problem.

With the 5th wheel I'm also around 14,000 - 15,000, and I push it back a long ways, mostly up hill, when I put it away...like 250'. I rember it starting to shake one time as I pulled the front end of the truck up over the curb...rear wheels on gravel and 5th wheel hitched...it also banged around a bit when I stuffed the clutch down to try again, but I thought it was traction making and breaking a the rear wheels...could have been the clutch though, cause I was just creeping it back. I think there is quite a bit or drivetrain wind-up even at idle in low or reverse, so if the clutch started to chatter at all it would probably be pretty obnoxious, as you descibe. Putting it in 4x would keep the wind-up from releasing every time the clutch slipped, which would make it better. I'll bet if you disbled the front axel disconnect it would still be bad in 2wd-Low.

Tell your service manger about it, Take our responses (showing that it isn't "normal") and offer to take your load to the dealer and show him how it acts...maybe you'll get a chance to see if a new clutch fixes it.

[ 01-17-2003: Message edited by: Colorado Kid ]</p>