PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic trans fluid question

Dawg
08-10-2003, 14:43
I'm about ready to switch to synthetic trans fluid, specifically the Castrol Transyn as recommended by Allison. I was checking the Castrol web site and did not find anything on Transyn. Just info on the Syntec, fully synthetic ATF. Is Transyn actully Syntec in a differnet bottle?

Thanks

2K2AD
08-10-2003, 14:50
Dawg,

A while ago, there was debate on exactly what Transynd was based on. It is hard to find any information on the Castrol site about it. It is, however, listed all over the Allison site and there is a day's worth of reading about it there. Castrol and Allison entered a partnership to produce Transynd and it is sold exclusively through the Allison network (probably why it is so expensive). I do not think it is the same as any other product they offer.

Kevin

LanduytG
08-10-2003, 15:52
Transynd is 100% true synthetic. Its a good choice but prisey. Its at least $8 to $10 a gallon bhigher than a couple of other brands that will do the same thing.

Greg

Dawg
08-10-2003, 19:02
I have an Allison dealer in my area. I was hoping to find a source that is less expensive than Allison.

I thought about using another synthetic. Decided to stick with the Transyn to avoid any warranty issues IF they ever arise.

a64pilot
08-11-2003, 08:16
Dawg,
If your really worried about warranty issues use the Dex, you see Allision only makes our tranny, they don't warranty it. I know that sounds crazy, but apparently the General bought a Bizallion of them with the idea of providing the warranty themselves, so while the Allision dealer may be the best place to have your tranny fixed if it has problems, your standard GM warranty is no good there. You'll have to pay for anything they do yourself.