PDA

View Full Version : Towing Problem

conway
08-09-2003, 14:03
First diesel and I am "know nothing". I have a "girly-man truck (it is so easy to drive that my wife is not afraid to take it out)- a '03 2500 HD 4x4 D/A with 4" Banks exhaust, exhaust brake and EGT & turbo Boost gauges. I had the dealer install the exhaust brake and gauges to avoid any warranty issues. I am towing a 5-ton trailer. I have about 8500 miles and have just towed the trailer for about 20 miles on fairly level terrain. The truck "limped" and the boost gauge went to "0" and would not register after that. The dealer told me that the exhaust brake melted the tube leading to the boost gauge and caused the problem. They repaired it without charge and told me that they rerouted the tube so that it would not have this trouble again. I towed yesterday and the problem reoccured. This time the distance was longer (about 30 miles and a change in elevation from sealevel to about 1500 feet. Same problem; the boost gauge is not registering and the truck "limped". I believe that it happens gradually. Everytime I came to a stop and had to accelerate it seemed to take a little longer to get up to speed. Any ideas? I can not understand why. Does the truck computer keep track of the exhaust boost pressure and if it "sees" a drop go into "limp" mode.

Any help in educating me would be appreciated.

Mahalo.

mackin
08-09-2003, 14:57
Your dealer should know ...... If it went into "limp" then a "SES" (service engine soon)would have illuminated and any and all fault codes would be present .....

This is the key to diagnosing your truck for starters.....

Perhaps you have a faulty boost sensor,as your pointing in that direction ... I find it hard to believe you wouldn't build any boost starting out in third gear (limp) towing 8500 lb. and not generate any boost ..... Perhaps you boost gauge is faulty in it's self ?? What type, brand ??

I would bring it back to dealer and retrieve the actual DTC (diagnostic trouble code) numbers .....

Good luck

Mac smile.gif

Gbenzx01
08-09-2003, 19:34
Right on Mac,

But Conway,
I can't imagine a dealer selling someone an exhaust brake on one of these Dmax/Allison trucks.
We've pulled the limit several times in the mountains looking almost straight down w/o a foot on the brake & the Allison holding it right to the nose all the way down. I can't imagine this.
Was it a GM dealer that did this to you? First time ever heard of such a thing but really would like to know the whys behind this?

Thanx, Gben
:rolleyes:

conway
08-09-2003, 21:08
Should have elaborated. I bought the banks exhaust brake, exhaust and gauges from Banks, I had the dealer install them to make sure that there would be no warranty problems. I note that the boost gauge is still working now, so the tube to the gauge did not melt this time. I guess it just "limped". When it "limped" the boost gauge did not show any boost. I am disappointed that the truck "limped" since I do not see that the load is anywhere near some of the loads that I see others are carrying and it was certainly for a shorter duration. I will take it to the dealer on Monday and see what they say.

Mahalo.

mackin
08-09-2003, 22:05
Originally posted by conway:
Should have elaborated. I bought the banks exhaust brake, exhaust and gauges from Banks, I had the dealer install them to make sure that there would be no warranty problems. I note that the boost gauge is still working now, so the tube to the gauge did not melt this time. I guess it just "limped". When it "limped" the boost gauge did not show any boost. I am disappointed that the truck "limped" since I do not see that the load is anywhere near some of the loads that I see others are carrying and it was certainly for a shorter duration. I will take it to the dealer on Monday and see what they say.

Mahalo. If I may ask ,what is LIMP to you ?? There may be a bit of confusion here ......

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

conway
08-09-2003, 22:51
The truck could not pull. In fact, the first time I left the trailer on the side of the road and drove home at 25 mph. The second time the truck just stopped moving. I was going up my driveway (30% grade), I unhooked the trailer and then drove up. After shut down I restarted and it ran okay; however I have not towed since then, A friend with a Dodge cummings/stanrd transmission "rescued" me both times.

Mahalo.

conway
08-09-2003, 22:53
The truck could not pull. In fact, the first time I left the trailer on the side of the road and drove home at 25 mph (could not go faster). The second time the truck just stopped moving. I was going up my driveway (30% grade), I unhooked the trailer and then drove up. After shut down I restarted and it ran okay; however I have not towed since then, A friend with a Dodge Cummings/standard transmission "rescued" me both times.

Mahalo.

mackin
08-10-2003, 08:00
The truck could not pull. In fact, the first time I left the trailer on the side of the road and drove home at 25 mph (could not go faster). The second time the truck just stopped moving. I was going up my driveway (30% grade), I unhooked the trailer and then drove up. After shut down I restarted and it ran okay; however I have not towed since then, A friend with a Dodge Cummings/standard transmission "rescued" me both times.

Mahalo. Good luck ....

Mac

Flyboy
08-10-2003, 08:34
Have you changed your fuel filter? Sounds like you are not getting fuel.

conway
08-10-2003, 11:10
Once I dropped the trailer and let the truck rest awhile it seems to run okay. The boost gauge is now registering normal. I will spek to the dealer on Monday.

Mahalo.

mackin
08-12-2003, 04:46
Once I dropped the trailer and let the truck rest awhile it seems to run okay. The boost gauge is now registering normal. I will spek to the dealer on Monday.

Mahalo. Just wondering

Mac

conway
08-14-2003, 16:09
Still checking it out. It possibly is the fault of the Banks exhaust brake. It may not be opening up after braking and therefore robbing the engine of power.

Mahalo,

conway
08-14-2003, 16:10
Still checking it out. It possibly is the fault of the Banks exhaust brake. It may not be opening up after braking and therefore robbing the engine of power.

Mahalo,