PDA

View Full Version : RE: Range Shift Inhibited message

DuramaxDicko
08-09-2003, 12:06
I am going to put some history from other posts, since I can not reply to those posts because of a permission problem (and I will notify the admin)

************** posted 07-07-2003 05:21 PM *****
got this message on the DIC today. Came off freeway and got to the 2nd light (about 2000ft)and stopped at the light, car in front made the right hand turn, I stepped on gas pedal (excuse me, the fuel padal) and nothing, no moving at all. My buddy got the owners manual out and it said to try to put in park or neutral and re-select gear. Still no go. Called On Star, they did a diag and said all is well. On Start called mechanic at dealership that I bought truck at and he said it needs to be towed in. On Star called a towing company and I let them know to send flatbed. they came out and it is now at the dealerhip. They don't know what it is at this point... no other codes on the DIC.
Gave me a rental (brand new <5 miles> Tahoe to use and they will call me on Tuesday.

Anyone have this problem?
What was the fix?
Sure hope it is something simple, I really don't want them pulling the Allison.
Dang... 3 weeks old today!!!

**************** posted 07-09-2003 04:55 PM *****
got a call from the dealer this afternoon, they were told by allison that the tranny MUST be replaced. Allison said there is a KNOWN problem, now why the *ell was this or any other truck sold with a known problem. I let the dealer know I was not happy (not with dealship, they are cool) about the tranny being replaced.
I asked what is the protocol about GM doing something about this... the truck has less then 650 miles on it.
he said to call GM at 800-GMC-Truck and make a claim... they did not give any more info then that.
Anyone able to give me info on this, how can I go about getting something like the extra $1000 rebate they are offering and a 7YR warranty.... not looking for a new truck... had to wait 8 weeks for this one and they are not making '03 any longer.
please give me your feedback or comments.
thanks
Dick

********** update today **************

Update:

yep, got the truck back and have heard some strange noises, have taken back to the dealer and they reassured me that the noises I hear are normal. it is whining noise... never heard it with the other allison, but "just maybe" I was not on the lookout to hear anything.

Spoke with GM (again last night) and they going to give me a component letter for the Allison, the allison will be covered for as long as I own the truck. (if they only looked in their own records for the last 3 trucks I have bought, they would notice that I keep my trucks a little longer then the average owner... last truck was 14 years)

By the by.. they do and will put in a rebuilt Allison, check out this site: http://1netweb.com/images/tranny/allison.htm, this is my truck with the rebuilt Allison in it now.

I have not received the letter yet, but if it is what GM says, I will be happy, not having to worry about the trans for as long as I have the truck is a big relief.

I just let GM know, that if I wanted a project truck or used truck, I would have bought such, but with less then 650 miles on the truck and only weeks old, I expect and should receive

dmaxalliTech
08-09-2003, 18:00
dmaxdick, email me your vin and serial no on the old trans if you have it or can get it

DuramaxDicko
08-09-2003, 18:28
dmaxalliTech

u got mail

thanks

4X496Dooley
08-23-2003, 22:08
DuramaxDicko,
I just had my tranny replaced for the same problem on my 2003, 3500, CC, 4x4. (1400 miles) I just picked it up today. My problem occured at Bass Lake last saturday. When it would not go I shut it off and restarted then it worked. I had a few problems but it did get me home. Had to do 20mph up the grapevine to keep the trans temp below the red.I also lost the tranny on my 2001. I could not believe it happened a second time. I my need to use a little more pressure and see if I can get the same lifetime warranty as you.