PDA

View Full Version : T-Bar Turning v. Green Keys v. Cognito Leveling

LTChip
08-09-2005, 17:01
Just need a little lift to fit my 285s. Is there any reason to consider anything other than just turning the t-bars?

Kennedy
08-09-2005, 18:05
I guess I'll have to write a Tech Tip for this as it's become a popular subject. Start by adjusting your stock screws and see where you get. If that doesn't work then try keys or a leveling kit.

Torsion bar keys only adjust the amount of preload on the bars just like cranking up the spring collars on an ATV or motorcycle shock. The only difference is the clocking of the hex that grabs the bar.

While we are at it, the YELLOW Bilsteins are the best choice. The silver ones are not replacing or upgrades to the yellows, just a generic valved unit that happens to fit the front.

DmaxMaverick
08-09-2005, 18:06
The OEM cams will do fine. You should only need to raise it about 1 to 1.5 inches. IMO, the green keys are a waste of money and effort. The OEM's will go up to about 2". More than that and the CV joints will be at such an angle they won't last long. Not to mention the control arm geometry, shocks, uneven tire wear, and minimal upper suspension travel. More than 1.5" should require a good lift kit.

BTW
The green keys do nothing more than advance the index in the key. This means it will only apply more twist to the T-bar at the upper adjustment. Some sellers (not all) misrepresent them, pitching them as an alternative for a quality lift kit, which they are not by any means.

dmaxalliTech
08-10-2005, 14:23
I sell a ton of them for some reason and when people call and ask, I try to talk them out of them as I find they give a "pogo" ride that is very undesirable at least to me. I leveled my truck and clear 285's with an adjustment to the stock setup. Bilsteins keep it all smooth and work well with it.