PDA

View Full Version : accessory power

2Horsehauler
06-07-2002, 15:50
Help please! I have a new 3500 Duramax/Allison and am fitting it out for a slide in camper with an auxillary battery. I am installing an isolator to allow camper battery charging when traveling but not let the camper run down the truck batteries when the engine is not running. The isolater is a heavy duty solenoid that requires a low power lead to do the switching. I want the power to come from a switched ignition source so that the solenoid circuit will close only when the ignition switch is in the "run" position. This is probably very similar to any switched accessory. How do I find a switched terminal (preferred) or a wire that I can tap? Chevy dealer doesn't know and they warn me (as does the owners manual) that you must be very careful doing this with all of the computer controlled circuits you can damage. There must be a safe and easy way to do this.

TLA
06-07-2002, 16:00
Go to www.gmupfitter.com, and find your way through to the "book" that covers the Silverado 2500HD/3500. There are several diagrahms in the back that show different taps from the panel by your left foot. It is an excellent reference source for any of us making modifications. ' hope this makes sense.

MAXed Out
06-07-2002, 16:20
TLA,

Great tool!

smile.gif Thanks

TLA
06-08-2002, 07:10
You are welcome! I'm a little brain dead - 4 hours notice to put together shipping a horse to Portland with a pick up in Phoenox.
The terminal are unique to GM - there was a post several weeks ago with a source for them. I'll try to find it. What I did, was to buy a trailer brake plug-in and rob the terminals. I don't know how those taps are fused, but would think that they are some where.
Good luck.