PDA

View Full Version : Another dual-mass flywheel bites the dust

ZFMax
08-07-2003, 17:12
2002 with 35,900 miles on the clock, letting out the clutch the other day I heard a gawdful sound like rocks grinding. All the way in or all the way out, no problem, and clutch engagement is smooth, but there's noise over that 1" or so of clutch pedal movement where it's engaging.

The loud noise is intermittent, but in trying to reproduce it I noticed that with the window down a more subtle version of it exists consistently. Even sitting still with the tranny in neutral, it'll make a noise during that inch or so of clutch pedal movement.

Also makes loud noises while the engine is shutting down.

Dropped it at the dealer, they called and said it's the flywheel, they're getting one in.

So, is it true there's an updated version of this flywheel? Anyone have a failure with the new one?

36,000 miles is WAY too early to be having clutch/flywheel issues.

srubrn
08-08-2003, 07:31
There is a updated flywheel, I have one. My old one was not bad. They were trying to fix the hard clutch feel, it didn't work.

JMPDMax
08-08-2003, 09:14
About this updated flywheel....

Is it a replacement item only or did GM start putting them into the product from the factory for 2003?

I have an '03 and am wondering whether I have the updated flywheel or the old one???

Later

-JP (a re-newbie)

ZFMax
08-25-2003, 15:32
Well it's fixed ... bad noises while letting out the clutch are all gone. And sure enough, no more KER-CLUNK as the engine shuts down. For you six-speed owners out there, that's a tell-tale sign your flywheel is going.