PDA

View Full Version : Are your door tweeters hanging by the wires?

SDWA
08-07-2003, 16:58
Noticed today, 500 miles out of warranty, that the tweeters on the drivers & passenger doors were loose behind the speaker grill, hanging by the wires.

Took the doors apart, all the plastic posts w/nuts were snapped off of the tweeter mounts, 3 floating inside the door, 1 still in the door panel. Nothing a few screws and trim nuts couldn't fix, but what the hell?? I don't slam the doors... This happened to anyone else? Now that the warranty's up, what's next??? smile.gif

Scott

tysmith
08-07-2003, 17:08
Happened to me on my '01, only I had something like 5K miles when I noticed. I didn't waste my time with the dealer, I just modified the housing a little and through-bolted the little buggers to the door panel. If it happens on my '03, new speakers will be going in all around.

That being said, this post might get more response in the accessories forum.

Good Luck

Ty

drgracr
08-07-2003, 18:46
Drivers door tweeter fell out on the 1001 door closing or it could be the wonderful roads. Fixed it last night, can I say cheep

dmaxalliTech
08-07-2003, 21:04
Originally posted by SDWA:
Noticed today, 500 miles out of warranty, that the tweeters on the drivers & passenger doors were loose behind the speaker grill, hanging by the wires.

Took the doors apart, all the plastic posts w/nuts were snapped off of the tweeter mounts, 3 floating inside the door, 1 still in the door panel. Nothing a few screws and trim nuts couldn't fix, but what the hell?? I don't slam the doors... This happened to anyone else? Now that the warranty's up, what's next??? smile.gif

Scott AHH, I see your warrenty timer must have expired, its tied into the cluster and monitors the mileage. Sends a signal to various parts of the truck to start failing. It starts out with small things like the speakers, or something small... Ends up.. well, it aint pretty :eek: ;) :D

drgracr
08-08-2003, 17:31
dmaxalliTech- you had to say that, thanks

MAV
08-08-2003, 18:50
Yep, my pass side is hanging. Guess I'll fix it this weekend.

heartbeatcanada
08-09-2003, 06:03
Ya drivers side tweeter is hanging from the wire on my truck. Not sure if its the raw power that made it pop out or i like my music loud, anyway haven't opened it up to have a look yet, but probably the plastic studs are broke as yours is. :mad: Later Jeremy

sooty
08-09-2003, 18:46
Both of mine are hanging by the wires, I wondered why all of the rattleing was going on in the doors. I'm taking mine to the dealer thought, I will let them take the panels off and fix them. Called the sevice department and they report that this is a common problem. Jim

Tommy turbo
08-10-2003, 13:52
I noticed mine a coupla of weeks ago after two hundred miles of gravel roads and jeep trails in Co. on a vacation there. Will fix soon.

tophog
08-13-2003, 20:43
I think the below TSB addresses this ...

1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Models
2000-2003 Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban
2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
1999-2003 GMC Sierra Pickup Models
2000-2003 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
with Uplevel Audio System (Non-Bose

Kc5khr
08-14-2003, 14:14
Both of mine were hanging. Traded in truck last Friday. That was the final straw.