PDA

View Full Version : Slide-in Camper in a 3500 DRW

ulhpilot
08-07-2003, 11:57
While researching slide-in campers, why do all the slide-in boys run the Dxxxx or Fxxx, but I almost never (I can say never because I haven't seen one yet) see a GM hauling a BIG slide-in. Some guys have said the IFS doesn't lend itself to big bed loads? Whats up? I'm ready to add a DRW to the fleet, do I have to jump ship?
PS I like the new Dxxxx body and CTD, but the GMC Duramax/Allison is not out of the running, yet.
Don't like the full-time spinning axle/front drive shaft on the Dxxxx.

slapshot44
08-07-2003, 12:05
My 3500 carries my big slide-in just fine. Even on forest service roads in the Sierras (not always the smoothest / best maintained route).

Hoppy1942
08-07-2003, 13:23
If you look at it historially you might be correct. But my impression is many of the new truck purchases are Duramax with Allison transmissions. You might take a look at the truck camper forum on RV Net and there are alot of Chevy/GMC outfits represented.

I believe most of us hauling larger truck campers are more than happy with our Duramax/Allison outfits. I drive alot on steep, gravel Forest Service roads and I love my outfit. Plus I seldom get passed by a F**d or D***e on the Interstates.

Turbo Al
08-07-2003, 13:48
Moved to 2500HD/3500 Accessories forum.