PDA

View Full Version : Got new wheels; gotta question...

DMAXDiva
06-06-2002, 15:55
Hey guys:

Got my new wheels on the truck...American Racing Atlas 16x8's. My question is: I've had to invest in a 13/16 thin-walled socket, driver and extension for the new mondo chrome lugnuts. Is this a common size for lugs? I can't ever remember using that size on a wheel (but certainly on spark plugs). What gives?

I'm a little worried about getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere trying to break the lugnuts on a flat with a puny little socket driver with NO leverage...any suggestions?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks!

INDI-GO
06-06-2002, 16:40
Seems a 4 way lug wrench should work.
But, you can get a long breaker bar that will fit your socket. Then maybe a cheater pipe that will slide over the breaker bar.

mackin
06-06-2002, 18:01
DMAXDiva ,

I think it's been said here, the correct size is 21 mm, if they are same size lugs as on a 1 ton........ I have used 7/8 but some slight corner breakage has accrued .....Fancy for rounded off ....... :rolleyes: I haven't re torque my lugs yet,since last time , when I put my new rims on, but I'm going to try a 21 mm....... My suggestion would be to buy the size you need, 13/16, 21mm whichever, deep well socket, a 6 "extension and a breaker bar 18" min. all in 1/2 inch drive , all available at Sears in CRAFTSMAN brand........ This is what I had to, and did do, when I had a set of AR's on my ZR2 blazer ....... Should be enough room to mix it in with the existing bag for stock wheel tools under back seat ......A four way will not work unfortunately to big to fit in "D" hole, other wise the stock "JUNK" would work ,"K" ..... Get some PICS up .Good Ruck, with your TRUCK ........
MAC smile.gif

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

DMAXDiva
06-06-2002, 18:24
Yeah, I knew the 4 way wouldn't work, nor that "stock crock" complete with those ever-so-handy gardening gloves! (wasn't that keen of GM to include those just so I don't break a nail or ruin my designer outfit as I change that nasty old flat? :rolleyes: )...

Thanks for the input, and yes, pics are forthcoming (as soon as I stop spending so darned much $$$ on this truck and go buy a digital camera!) :D

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

NickLeinonen
06-07-2002, 06:13
the gm factory size is 22mm i believe. there is like 0.020" size difference between 7/8" and 22mm.
after market wheels use odd lugs sometimes. on my old alloy wheels [tsw kalahari] i had to use a 9/16" allen key on a 1/2" drive adapter to get the wheel lugs off. [at least i didn't need wheel locks ;) ]