PDA

View Full Version : What to do w/ 320 Gal of Heating Fuel

BBCB
03-30-2004, 02:52
I recognize that it does not have road tax imposed upon it, but for "off-road" purposes, could it be metered into my tank at some ratio that would a) not affect the truck negatively and b) allow me to empty and remove the storage tank in a realistic time span?

Thanks in advance,

BBCB

markrinker
03-30-2004, 04:39
Given that some members of this page have been known to regularly mix lubricating oils with their diesel to increase lubricity and 'protect the IP', I would think you are safe to mix fuel oil all day long. Assuming that it is CLEAN and WATER FREE (assumptions are always what bite you in the arse) it should mix and burn in your diesel engine readily.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question105.htm

We used to keep a 50 gallon tank of kerosene at the farm to mix in the tractors for our own 'winter blend'.

Oh yeah, one last detail. You'll have to drive in the ditches and through back yards all the way to work to be legal.

[ 03-30-2004, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

Marty Lau
03-30-2004, 08:07
I know of a fellow who bought a farm stead and there was a tank with about 500 gallons of dyed. He had a small Diesel tractor but it would have taken him years to use it. He just took his chances until the dyed was used. He now only gets small enough quanity of off road for his tractor for about 6-8 months.

Dvldog 8793
03-30-2004, 08:26
Howdy
We have allot of loggers here that run dyed in their equipment and trucks. The State troopers are always running around with dipsticks checking tanks and writting fines. On the other hand I have a friend that sells heating oil and for some reason he drives a diesel truck :rolleyes: . He has been running fuel oil in his truck for years with no bad problems and never a fine! He figures that even if he does get fined it only takes about 5 tanks to pay the damage.
Be careful.
L8r
Conley

moondoggie
03-30-2004, 10:36
Good Day!

#2 fuel/heating oil IS THE SAME THING as #2 diesel fuel. That being said, it's entirely possible/likely that #2 sold as diesel fuel may be cleaner, have additives heating oil doesn't have, etc.

Be careful about how long it's been stored, water content, etc. No matter how cheap you got this fuel, you don't even want to think about using it if it's not good. :eek:

If it was stored outside in a cold climate, I'd want to be REALLY SURE if it's #1 or not. I don't think there's any problem running #1 in the summer when you're empty, but I wouldn't pull a load in the summer with #1 in the tank.

I ran 250 gallons of dyed (fuel/heating) #2 oil through my 95 pickup (completely legally). I intend to do it again this spring. I had no problems at all.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

Alaska Aviator
03-31-2004, 15:25
No. 1 won't hurt a thing in your engine, it just has less energy content (reduced power and mileage) and lower lubricity - if you run it just put some Stanadyne Performance formula in with it and it will have the same lubricitity as old high sulfur #2.

BBCB
03-31-2004, 16:59
Thanks for the info - time to take to the sidewalks and front lawns.

triggerman
04-02-2004, 09:21
What I'v found out is the EPA alows #2 heating oil to have the currant 2000 to 3000 PPM of sulfur as opposed to about 350 PPM in road Diesel.(soon to be 5 PPM in 06). I'v run it before with no issues. Be sure to change the filter after your done, The rust and sludge in #2 WILL make it through a played filter and plug injectors !!!

TurboDiverArt
04-03-2004, 08:55
Something I've always wondered about. If Diesel #2 is the same as fuel oil, then why can a furnace run it from an outside tank in the cold winter? I assume they don't make winterized fuel oil, right? I know a diesel engine is much more complex than a furnace but if the diesel#2/fuel oil jells up in cold weather and collects water then how can a furnace burn it? I think a furnace has an injector of some sorts to spray the fuel so it burns and heats?

Thanks,
Art.

moondoggie
04-03-2004, 09:48
Good Day!

I'm not sure. It's been a long time since anyone I know heated with oil.

I can tell you that our fuel oil tank is in the basement. (We switched to natural gas many years ago - the tank is empty.)

I'm quite sure that you can buy heating oil in #2 or #1, for folks with outside tanks. If memory serves, #2 gels ≈ 20

triggerman
04-03-2004, 21:51
Heating oil gets cut with #1 exactly like road Diesel. Each region has a anticipated monthly low temp and is cut with kero to compensate to meet a minimum anti gel mix. Some folks up in the higher elevations with out side tanks will order #1 and mix 50/50 with #2 just to be on the safe side.

JohnC
04-04-2004, 11:35
My supplier, not far from the Catskills, does not cut the heating oil in the winter. Those customers with outside tanks get a heavy dose of anti-gel additive at every fill. Road Diesel and red Diesel were both cut to 60/40 in the dead of this past winter.