PDA

View Full Version : Front axle seal leak

Dawg
07-31-2003, 17:51
Noticed that the driver side front axel seal looks like it is leaking. Truck has about 25,000 miles. Haven't seen a post on this in a long time so it must not be too big of deal. I'll get it checked out next week and post any info that I find.

Lone Eagle
08-03-2003, 17:06
Have you changed the fluid yet? If not, do and let us know it the leak quits. Later! Lone Eagle

dmaxalliTech
08-03-2003, 20:09
Make sure its not leaking from the vent connector, they have a tendancy to come loose and leak, looks just like axle leak becuase of position. make sure it tight, something you could do yourself and save a trip to dealer.

Dawg
08-06-2003, 17:25
dmaxalliTech hit it right on! Just a bad vent. Dealer repalced the vent, cleaned up the underside of the truck and replaced fluid.

No problem.

BradL
03-07-2005, 06:06
I will double check my axle tonight to make sure it's not the vent tube that's leaking, but if it is the driver side axle seal that's leaking, what all is involved to replace the seal?

Is it something a "shadetree" can do in the garage?

I've recently replaced the wheel bearing assembly on the passenger side, so if I needed to remove the driver side wheel bearing assembly to pull the axle, I would go ahead and replace the driver side wheel bearing assembly as well.

madmatt
03-07-2005, 16:19
sure! all you have to do is take the six 15mm head bolts out that connect the axle, let the outer axle hang down and knock the inner axle out w/ a firm blow from a hammer. then just pop your seal out and reverse procedure. you'll need the front tires off of the ground so you can turn the axle and for clearence when removing the inner axle.

madmatt
03-07-2005, 16:21
also while the axle is out, it is a good time to reseal the vent. just remove the vent hose, spin it out, clean it up, smear some assembly adhesive on it and reinstall.

BradL
03-08-2005, 11:00
Madmatt, thx for the reply. Is there not a clip/retainer on the front axle inside the differential? I presume not, since the inner axle is bolted to the outer axle and the outer axle is also bolted to the steering knuckle?

madmatt
03-09-2005, 16:40
yea there is but is just a circular retainer that the axle will pop in and out of with the heavy tap of a hammer. it can't fall into the diff. housing because it's situated in the side gear. when you pop the axle out you'll see what I'm talking about. trust me, I wouldn't tell you how to do it if I didn't think that most people could do it on their own. A little mechanical abilty/know how does always help though.

BradL
03-10-2005, 07:27
Do I need a "drive hammer" or "slide hammer" to remove the front axle? Otherwise, what do I tap with a hammer to get the inner axle out?

[ 03-10-2005, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: BradL ]

madmatt
03-12-2005, 06:37
I just use a heavy ball peen and hit the flange the outer axle bolts to.

BradL
03-29-2005, 04:47
Madmatt, Any special instructions for re-installing the axle seal? I finally got my parts from gmpartsdirect last nite. I'm thinking I can use a small bottle jack to remove the inner axle by placing the jack between the flange and the case.

madmatt
03-29-2005, 17:41
I just clean the axle housing surface where the seal will sit and tap it in w/ a hammer and a 3/4 drive socket that fits as close to the outer edge of the seal as possible. I don't think I'd put a jack against the housing and jack against it. I don't think it'd crack it, but are you familiar w/ Murphy???? How bout' his law??? :( :(

BradL
03-30-2005, 08:11
Lol on Murphy's Law, it always applies!

madmatt
03-31-2005, 20:28
For real :( :( :( and it always comes into play @ the worst possible times,,IE middle of the night, pouring down rain, blizzards, miles away from home,ect,etc,etc........

BradL
04-11-2005, 03:58
Madmatt, Thx for your posts on the front axle seal. I replaced my driver side this weekend. The hardest part of the job was re-installing the seal, making sure it went in straight. Looks like I'll get to do the right side before too much longer - it's moist on that side but not yet dripping on the ground. Thx again for your posts.

madmatt
04-11-2005, 15:49
Hey Brad, glad i could help and glad it went so good for you. let me know if you need anything else. also the right side is just a hair more involved. I'm sure you can handle it now but let me know before you do it and I'll walk you through it also.