PDA

View Full Version : Frontend alignment

Mustfish
01-07-2003, 12:36
I raised my torsion bars the other day and called for an appointment to get an alignment. I called a shop in town that has given good service in the past. I told him that I raised my torsion bars so that he would know why I was there. He said he uses a computer controled machine that sets the frontend to factory shipping specs. His software would'nt take into account for a torsion bar change. He recomended a shop to me that still uses the older method for alignment. The point is, make sure you get what you pay for. The dealership would have given me a bill and sent me down the road no matter what the results of the alignment.

Jim

Paintdude
01-07-2003, 13:27
They calibrate all of those computer alignment machines--Manuelly......So the old method is still good...Your toe in is all that might have changed and the camber slightly, but it may till be in spec,camber..

Bass_on_tap
01-07-2003, 18:44
I just installed a set of torsion bar adjusting cams. They have a different angle that raises the front end 2-3 inches above stock. I have not driven it nor had the front end aligned yet. I was wondering the same thing. Does the technician use stock front end alignment specs or take into account that the front end has been raised? By the way, I had to go and buy the torsion bar unloading tool for this job. I have one if anyone needs to borrow it. Dave

IndigoDually
01-07-2003, 19:06
I would think that the specs would be unchanged. The way the tires point is the way the tires point regardless of ride height. As long as the shop does not try to set the ride height adjustment you are alright. The wheels and tires are still in the same place in regards to the roadway, just the frame height or "Z" value has changed.
There was a lot of discussion on the Z adjustment when many were trying to find if their trucks were at the proper, factory specified ride height when riding on the yellow bump stops.

John

Bass_on_tap
01-07-2003, 19:18
IndigoDually, the direction that came with the kit specified, "Align the front end when install is finished". I guess it's not going to hurt to have it done regardless to be safe.

Paintdude
01-07-2003, 20:02
What changes most is the toe-in..When you raise the frame from the steering knuckle-tires the steering rods have more of a downward angle making the distance shorter, therfore toeing in the tires..Then when you raise it can also affects the camber.The caster would not change...always have it checked it you raise it..IMO..

Trippin
01-07-2003, 21:26
Raised mine 7 turns to level it out. I agree with Paint Dude. Truck will be slightly towed in and have slightly less camber.

Mustfish,
your guy should still be able to give you good service. His machine will check the tow in/out and the camber regardless of the height of the truck. As long as he adjusts these back to factory specs without touching your torsion bars, you'll be fine.

I was going to get a baseline off my truck before I cranked on the torsion bars and then compare it to afterwards. Unfortunately, the camber gauge and toe plates I use on my race car wouldn't work on the truck. I'm going to find a front end shop that will work with me so I can look at results before and after. I'll post the results later. Unless somebody else has already done this?????