PDA

View Full Version : Split Benc h-Any Negatives?

TxDoc
06-05-2002, 09:57
Any reason not to get the split bench? Anyone gone from buckets to split bench and much happier?

MaxRock
06-05-2002, 10:10
TxDoc,
I've got the split bench with the 6 speed. I really like the bench. I can directly compare the bench to the buckets my wife has in her 2000 Tahoe. (The seat bottom on the bucket and bench are the same) The console with the bench has a more comfortable arm rest than on the bucket...IMHO. In the rare occasion that I need 6 passenger seating, I just raise the console and viole', an extra seat.

Some people complain about the location of the cup holders. I personally do not have an issue here. Most of my drinks are either tall bottles of water or a 20 oz. soft drink. They are easy to reach even with the console down. It comes down to personal preferances.

Good luck,
MaxRock

Jelisfc
06-05-2002, 10:18
I have a leather split bench in my 99C/K. It accumulates less junk for me and I agree the fold down console is more comfortable than arm rests.

From other posts I've seen the console bolts right into the center section mounting holes so if you want to convert it's easy and no more expensive than ordering it that way.

DMAXDiva
06-05-2002, 10:55
Hey TxDoc:

The truck I originally ordered (which I didn't accept on delivery; long story) had the ZF6 and split bench. I then bought a D/A off the lot with buckets and am so glad I did! I really appreciate the extra storage the center console provides, in addition to the A/C vents for the back passengers (a real plus in this East Texas heat!).

01_Duramax_Dually
06-05-2002, 11:15
TxDoc,
I had a 1996 K3500 with Buckets and ordered the Bench on my 01. I like the Bench far better than the bucket. The console is nicer, sits a bit higher and being able to seat 6 is a big plus. The bucket seat option seems to accumulate more junk than it is worth at times. The cup holder is a non issue however it would be nicer if it was off the floor.

My 2 cents worth

Good Luck on your choice

Carry On.....

Silver Bullet
06-05-2002, 11:32
TxDoc,
I have the opposite opinion of MaxRock on this one...I think the arm rests are more comfortable on the buckets...IMHO. I took a road trip with my neighbor (who has the 60/40) and my forearm would hurt after a while of using the flip down console/armrest to rest it on.

I usually drive with my left hand, so my right arm spends a lot on time on the armrest. I have no complaints about comfort of the armrest on the buckets.

RealBigTruck
06-05-2002, 11:42
Does anyone know the part number for the split bench center console that folds down? I have a base model with the 40/20/40 front seats, but the center portion doesn't fold down.

Thanks!

odoh
06-05-2002, 12:37
I like the 40-20-40 but wish the center portion was adjustable/moveable like the rest of the seats. Not real big on buckets myself. ~ odoh

konacat
06-05-2002, 12:59
I chose the bench seat since I have often been in a situation to carry 6 people. The only negative that I have noticed with the 40/20/40 seat is for the center passenger. The driver seat and the passenger seat move while the center seat does not move. To make a more comfortable ride for the center passenger it is best to move the passenger side seat forward so the center and passenger side is aligned. No other issues other than wishing the top of the consol was rubber instead of plastic. Everything I put on top slides all over until it slips off.

CanadaKev
06-05-2002, 14:37
TxDoc,
I went from 40/60 split(leather) in my '99 to leather buckets in my '02. I'll never go back! Sit in both and compare the comfort level. Pretend your going on a long drive. You'll answer your own question very fast. Cheers smile.gif Kev

SDWA
06-05-2002, 18:02
DmaxDiva,

There are A/C vents to the back seat *floor* in trucks with the split bench, they are located under the seat instead of in the console...

Scott

DMAXDiva
06-05-2002, 20:37
Rats...just when I thought my console-equipped truck was "extra-special" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification, Scott.

Brandenburg
06-05-2002, 21:04
RealBigTruck, if you find out do indeed tell! My father and I both have that seat and why they were too cheap to make the center part fold down is a mystery to me. I called a dealer about a month ago to try and get a part number for the center seat with fold-down armrest but they weren't much help over the phone. I think I might stop by there tomorrow and talk to them in person about it.

NutNbutGMC
06-05-2002, 21:27
Branden.. Why go elsewhere? It's all right here on this fine forum. Use the search tool. I saw the part number just recently on the center console.
After D/A and color, the split seat was my next requirement for options. IMHO, leather is too hot, too cold (yea yea, seat heaters), too slick, and too wrinkled after a few months. I like sitting on a nice cool cloth seat on a hot summer day, that breaths as I sit there. Leather makes sweat run down the crack of my butt. What's up with that??

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Brandenburg
06-05-2002, 21:38
Thanks for the tip, I found that site a while ago but being that I have a standard cab, I need to keep my center seat so I was hoping to replace the non-folding seat I have with one that folds down into a handy arm rest!

JimWilson
06-06-2002, 06:06
I have the 40/20/40 bench as well, and I added the power option to it (highly recommended addition). I like it, and to me it's just as comfortable as the "captains chairs". Personally, I would rather the cup holders be on the floor, so even that works for me.

01_Duramax_Dually
06-06-2002, 08:19
NutNButGMC,
Bawahahahaha,
You know how to stop that Shavetty Butt crack deal....QUIT DRINKING WATER.....and run the AC...Holy Cow. Please do not tell me that you are one of them people that has their pants hanging half down so when you are working you bless people with the infamous "PLUMBER'S CRACK"

The cloth interior get's so matted down after 6 months and then gets them "Rolley Polley's" as my 4 year old daughter calls them... :D . Our Honda Civic had that same type cloth and my daughters used to sit in back and pick at them and then laugh as they threw them at each other...HAHAHHAHAHAHA..Children are great for good laughs... ;) Now I live in California so the weather is mild pretty much year round and we do not see the Sub Zero temps in winter nor the 100 degree, 100% humidity during summer so I do not experience that Hot/Cold issue...Hey there you go..Another fix for the Shavetty Butt crack problem...Move to California.... :D

Man is great to read peoples personal preferences and why...

Do whatcha ya like, do it how ya like...

Carry On...... :D

Tommy turbo
06-06-2002, 18:18
(SDWA)I thought the floor vents were only in effect when you had the floor vents up front on. As in heat type situations. That is one of the best things about the buckets in my truck, is that the back seat passengers have ac vents in their face.

hoot
06-06-2002, 18:27
The 40-20-40 isn't a bench at all. It's two totally separate buckets with a filler seat in between. I love having bucket seats and still a seat for those special situations. Great idea!

Calling it a bench seat is silly as is not giving us a tape deck. GM does sometimes does do some stupid stuff.

The whole a/c system works great. The rear, underseat floor vents work great. They actually aren't really neccessary.

The floor mounted cupholders happen to be exactly at arms length when I'm in my driving position. I don't have to lean anywhere to reach them. Can't beat that!

The only real negative is the seats don't fully recline like my C/K's did. Sometimes when I get to work a little early I like to take a little nap before I head in.

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Brandenburg
06-06-2002, 19:24
I got there around closing time today, looked up and bought a few things for another vehicle then asked about the folding center seat. He didn't want to look it up but assured me it would be at least a grand for the center section! I don't know if that is true or if he just wanted to split. :confused:

I agree with hoot, I think the cup holder on the floor is a good spot and easy to reach but maybe if I had an armrest next to me I'd feel differently! ;)

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: Brandenburg ]</p>