PDA

View Full Version : TranSynd vs. Dex III...and running a chip

Silver Bullet
07-29-2003, 20:41
Alright, I am prepping for my first Alli flush (50K) this Friday and am trying to decide to stick with the Dex III or make the move to TranSynd.

I finally got my gauges, so I am also ready to purchase my power upgrade...leaning strongly towards Hot Juice.

Here is my question: Are there any good reasons for/against Dex III or TranSynd when putting additional HP/torque through my Dmax/Allison???

Thanks.

a64pilot
07-30-2003, 08:01
Well the people that make the transmission recommend the transynd pretty heavily. I figure the reason it came with Dex has to more with cost savings than anything else. JMHO

Silver Bullet
07-30-2003, 08:29
Is the TranSynd too slick when running extra power? I think I read somewhere that the Amsoil syn was too slick and was causing slippage...so I wondered about the TranSynd?

mackin
07-30-2003, 08:49
Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
Is the TranSynd too slick when running extra power? I think I read somewhere that the Amsoil syn was too slick and was causing slippage...so I wondered about the TranSynd? Transynd works fine ...

The whole point of converting is the "Synthetic" factor, for fluid quality's and extended drain intervals ...

Amsoil couldn't stomach the mods ....

a64pilot
07-30-2003, 08:57
I don't know. I can only assume that this tranny in it's intended use in these trucks for the warranty period that GM used the Dex was considered sufficent. I believe that the main advantage to the transynd is two fold, extended service intervals and resistance to heat. I doubt that it would cause any increased slippage. I believe that the transynd was developed by Castrol specifically for the Allison. Joint venture kind of thing maybe but I'm not sure. Anyway if this is true I don't believe that Allison would have picked a fluid that would cause the tranny to hold less Tq. than plain old cheap Dexron.

Silver Bullet
07-30-2003, 09:30
Thanks. I'll dig a little deeper in the pocket and make the move to TranSynd. I'll go for the straight flush this time and make the deep pan move on the next go-round.

Maverick
07-30-2003, 13:29
I do 100% tranny flushes every 25K at the local Allison dealer. I ran the juice for a little bit and towed heavy 70% of the time. Never overheated or slipped with Dextron III. Still run the stock pan. At 122,200, it still shifts like day one. The local Allison dealer uses Castrol Dextron III so the Transynd being made by Castrol is a good bet.

dmaxalliTech
07-30-2003, 14:26
Steve. I have spoken with Allison regarding the Transynd vs dex debate... Basically it boils down to your drain intervals. If your lookin to running 70k plug miles on a drain, then go with Transynd, If your looking to go 20-40k miles, dex is ok. Its cooling capabilities are hardly noticed by most. Most commercial vehicles are set up on extended drains and thats the reason for Transynd. Castrol is indeed the manufacturer for Transynd. I have found that most commercial users will go by an analysis to determine particle count and base drains on that info. IMHO Dex III ... smile.gif

a bear
07-30-2003, 18:32
IMHO the temps we run on the Allison does not really justify the use of Syn. unless you plan on doing extended drains. They both meet GM specs. for whats intended. Lube the transmission. If doing the extended thing I would still change the filter at recommended intervals. I personally like Dex III every 25K. ;)

mark45678
08-01-2003, 16:02
I have done (3) drain and refills with transdyne to my 01 .At this time it has 58K on it and 53K is with juice,30K with hot juice...... I dont feel like putting a $4000 trans in it so I only run the 90 hp setting! I dont think running the 120hp setting is possible with out slipage in 4th or 5th gear!!!!! every fluid change has been nice and clean with very little color change. I dont have and track numbers to prove it but 90 hp setting seams to be more consistant with reguards to defueling at shifts and slipage!Its like you have full power all the time and with hot juice you dont, If its slips the motor backs off the power! besides only 1 out of 10000 powerJokes have more go then us! :eek: Thanks Dmax for the smoke off the tires and fart pipe imports in my mirror! :D

Silver Bullet
08-02-2003, 14:49
Got it done...decided to go with TranSynd. It wasn't hard, but it sure is messy! I am glad I made the change...now I don't have to create this mess every 25K!!! Thanks for the input!