PDA

View Full Version : 265/75R16 on DMax 2500

billnourse
07-29-2003, 19:22
Can anyone give me information on switching to 265x75x16 tires on the 2500 DMax.

Information needed is:

1. Does it affect warranty?
2. How much is speedo effected?
3. Is there any noticable power loss?
4. Can they be mounted on the factory wheels?
5. Any fender well clearence issues?

I am only interested in the change because it will allow me it use Michlin tires with a weight rating of 3415# instead of the 3042#.

Thanks,

Bill

[ 07-29-2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: billnourse ]

RichBailey
07-29-2003, 20:13
Bill,
I put a set of Michelin 265 tires on my truck about 5k miles ago. I was really torn about buying "french" tires, but they are made in the USA, albeit by a french firm.

That aside, these tires are fantastic. They fit fine on stock rims, although specs call for a 7" min rim. No clearance problems and no noticeable power loss (hard to tell since I run in level 4 hot juice :D ).

Speedo reads almost exact on now. Interesting how GM manufactures speedos that are almost always fast by 2-3%. Must have something to do with cutting warranty costs??

I just came back from a 2000 mile roundtrip to my small ranch in SE Arizona, and these tires ride unbelievably smooth. I have the Bilstein shocks and the combination of Michelin tires and bilsteins is superb.

And, btw, I had the tire pressure set at 80 psi cold in the front and 65 psi back.

Only bad thing, mileage dropped 1 mpg even after calculating for tire diameter. But, it's worth it.

afp
07-29-2003, 20:27
Bill,

I have had 265s on mine since it was new. To answer you questions:

1. I have had my truck in the shop once for an ECM/TCM reflash and my tires weren't a concern. Also, I had the dealer reflash my truck for 265s the day I bought it. However, the reflash only corrects for anti-skid, not speedo.

2. Speedo is affected around 4%. I have heard 3.8% to be exact, and that seems to jive with what I am seeing.

3. Can't speak to the power loss, since it's all i have had. However, on the Juice my truck posted a 0-60 of 5.9 sec and a 14.49 1/4 mile time. My truck will spin the tires when I'm rolling at 10-20 mph.

4. Mine are on the factory wheels with no problems.

5. No fender clearance issues. They are only about an inch or so greater in diameter, and about and inch wider--id i rememebr correctly when I looked at them side-by-side, but unmounted.

6. My typical MPG w/juice level 4 is 14 in town and 20 on the freeway.

Blaine

DMAX Daddy
07-29-2003, 20:29
Awesome tires

1. Driving it off the lot affects the warranty ;)

2. Mine was 2% fast, corrected with The Predator

3. Couldnt really tell, swapped tires at 4oo miles

4. Yes on factory wheels

5. No clearance issues

If you do swap to 265's, have your dealer make sure to tell the Antilock Brake Computer. It wont fix the speedo error but will help the ABS work right.

Before the adjustment mine would lock and they havent since.

Silver Bullet
07-29-2003, 20:30
Bill,
Short on time (you get the short answers!), but here is my $.02...

1. Does it affect warranty?
- I wouldn't think so
2. How much is speedo effected?
- a little, but a dealer will recalibrate for 265's, but nothing bigger
3. Is there any noticable power loss?
- maybe small, but I would think it would be hard to notice
4. Can they be mounted on the factory wheels?
- Yes, this is what a Z-71 comes with stock
5. Any fender well clearence issues?
- No, this is what a Z-71 comes with stock

billnourse
07-29-2003, 20:41
Thanks for all the information. I will be replacing my current tires with 265's as soon as the current tires need replacing.

Bill

MaxedOut
08-02-2003, 20:24
Bill

Don't forget the spare if you have the locking rear diff. I've heard you can damage it if you put a 245 & a 265 on the back. Although, if one of the rears went flat, you could put the 245 spare on the front & the 265 front on the back. I'm thinking about 265s but not sure if I want to loose 1 mpg & buy 5 tires instead of 4. No question the 265s look better.

Glen

2K2AD
08-03-2003, 06:35
Bill,

I remember some time ago there was talk about dealers refusing WW on trucks fitted w/different tire sizes. Not sure if this was in a TSB or not, but it was dealing with Allison issues. The WW would be performed when the customer returned the original tire size to the truck.

Kevin

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
08-03-2003, 10:17
Yep,here it is....

Info - Inspection of Tire and Wheel Size Prior to Diagnosis for Transmission Shifts, Poor Performance, Speedometer, Cruise Control Concerns #01-03-10-010B
Inspection of Tire and Wheel Size Prior to Diagnosis of Transmission Shifts, Poor Performance, Speedometer, Cruise Control Concerns
2001-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Pickup Models

2001-2003 GMC Sierra Pickup Models

with Duramax

2K2AD
08-03-2003, 12:58
Yeah, that's the ticket! Good work. This is what makes the new wheel/tire option so attractive. Instead of having to change the tires again, you can just swap the whole wheel. So, if you are going to change wheels, why not get a wider wheel and open up some more tire size options?

Kevin