PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Shock cuz of Cranked TB

ChevyGert
07-29-2003, 07:48
I recently noticed that my front passenger shock was leaking so I showed it to my dad who works at the local Chevy dealership. I went ahead and told him to just put me another factory shock on there since it was under warranty anyways. But after that I went looking at aftermarket shocks cuz I have cranked my torsion bars and sometimes I feel like my shocks or topping out (unless I am hitting a-arm with the bumpstop). No one had anything in stock and they all had to order something.

So then I called 4WheelParts Wholesale and told them my situation and they told me that the Rancho 5000

Idle_Chatter
07-29-2003, 08:57
Gert, the factory shocks are JUNK and ANY aftermarket shock is practically a necessity. Personally, I'm a Bilstein fan and have had them on both of my Chevy diesels with great satisfaction and improvement in ride and handling. I suspect you got a leaker with the lift due to the shock being over-extended on a bump. There's not much chance of a bottoming on the front shocks because of the substantial rubber cushions on the front A-arms that actually are in contact most of the time in stock suspension stance.

gardnerteam
07-29-2003, 09:42
If you want to buy a shock set once, and never again (at least for 150,000 to 200,000 miles) buy Bilstein. It is the only shock I have not been able to destroy in 35 years of destroying shocks. Never have had to replace a set on either trucks nor Porsches. Many of my old trucks have 200,000 plus on them, and one (84 CC 4X4 with a Case Cummins diesel) has well over 500,000 (about 300,000 =/- on the same set of Bilsteins). Still had the Bilsteins on it last time I talked to the present owner. Bilstein is the only way to go.

JimWilson
07-30-2003, 09:43
I have the Rancho 9000's for a number of reasons, not the least of which is they're adjustable and have been on every truck I've owned in the past 10 years. And never have they failed to give me great service, even the ones that had over 100K on them.

I just ordered the green keys for my truck too. Rancho had told me that the green keys would have no negative affect on there shocks, and their standard 9000 can work with trucks that have up to a 2" lift. So I'm gonna give it a shot myself and see what happens.

8.1GASSER
08-03-2003, 10:30
I did plenty of wrenching under the HD this year to determine what you are questioning, rest assured that your shocks are NOT the limiting factor in the front suspension travel, but I do agree with the others, ditch the factory dampeners and put some real shocks under there.

afp
08-06-2003, 21:04
Use these keys. No stiff ride problems with mine.

http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com/

Blaine