PDA

View Full Version : Mag-Hytec install question

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
07-28-2003, 21:30
I just received my new Mag-Hytec rear diff cover. I have done numerous searches here and can't find the answer to my question...so here goes:

In the directions for the 14-11.5 cover, there is a notice about two different GM install fixes for carrier bearings throwing oil. It goes on to recommend doing fix number 2. It seems to me from what I have read here that folks are just installing the cover, and not doing either of these vent host mods. Am I correct on this? I guess I don't follow why this is even here since near the top of the "Notice" it says "In our testing this is not a problem iwth the 14-11.5 rear end cover". If its not a problem, why muddy the water with including it? :eek:

Thanks, John

et
07-28-2003, 22:13
ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX,

Your assumption is correct. Ignore that portion of the directions. All of us who installed the Mag-Hytec rear diff cover went through your dilemma. So if we suffered, all others must suffer!

Jeep Puller
07-29-2003, 00:42
My guess . . . think of it from the manufacturer's point of view. They make beautifully crafted diff covers, not beautifully written examples of the English language. I bet they wrote one set of instructions to cover all the 14 bolt covers and figured it would be "clear enough". It's a really well made piece, isn't it? It took eight full quarts to fill mine - and my ring and pinion are oh soooo happy!

sonofagun
07-29-2003, 12:41
John,

I intalled the cover shortly after I got my '01 2500. I had the cover off recently and found no signs of water or suspended dirt. I do clean the dipstick each time I change the oil and it has accumulated a significant amount of metal each time.

They are about ready to release an Allison trans cover as well.

Ignore the EXTRA instructions in my opinion.

Bob