PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Stole Our Rearend(AAM)?

thechevyhdman
10-29-2002, 21:02
Yeah, So a while back Im reading how Dana is losing some bids to Automakers cause AAM is really working alot with what manufacturers want etc etc. One article I read stated that AAM will be manufacturing axles for Dodges new series of pickups. Then I read here how someone spoke to A Dodge engineer and stated how our axles suck and the only thing good is our trannys. Well looking for a new GMC cab and chassis today I see a New 2003 Cummins Dually. Take a look underneath... Rear end is identical, Has to be the same as ours except theres alot more metal at the bottom of the pumpkin. Weird I think. I take a look at another Cumminsapart, 4 door shortbed.. different rear end. Think wow theres one downfall already. The front end looks like it could be AAM material also. Can anyone else back me up...I swear Dodge Dually same rear-end as my shortbed 2500hd. Im sure this will be sent to Industry News by the Gestapho, but figured Id ask. As my daddy says sometimes its hard to tell the cockles from the wheat. Just figured Id finnd out the truth before its held against me

01F350SRW
10-29-2002, 21:49
As far as I know ur right, I noticed that on my buddys new 3500, they look exactly the same, oh by the way, American Axle makes the new Dodges axle because of a mishap with the Jeep Danas, Chrysler changed all axles to American axle. And yes, American Axle does make the HD axles in our trucks, its on there web site I think.

Kansas Kid
10-29-2002, 22:42
Yes, all the axles Dodge uses come from AAM just like they do on the GM trucks. And the way I understand it is that the Dodge 2500's with all gas motors and diesels with automatic transmissions use the 10.5" ring gear while the 2500 diesels with manual transmissions and all 3500's get the 11.5".

Only difference is they get a real axle up front (AAM 9.5" ring gear) instead of the excuse for a front axle that GM uses.

Black Dog
10-30-2002, 06:38
And yes, AAM does make the solid front axle in the new Dodge HD trucks also.

Chris N5CWM
11-02-2002, 23:30
Don't get your panties in too big of a wad.

The Dodge AA setup does NOT have a drain plug.
Still have to remove the rear or front cover to
drain the fluid. :rolleyes:

Also the Dodge limited slip is NOT the Eaton
Positive Locker that GM gets (G80). It is a
regular clutch type limited (lots of) slip.

GM gets the best deal here for sure. smile.gif

NickLeinonen
11-03-2002, 10:32
The Dodge AA setup does NOT have a drain plug.
Still have to remove the rear or front cover to
drain the fluid

and...? my pop's 99 silverado has the drainplug, but i still pull the cover to check out the condition of the internals and to clean the magnet. my 'hoe has no plug, but it is no big deal when draining out the fluid. and lots of people here have upgraded to the mag hytec pan and doesn't it have a plug in it [ i remember complaints that they didn't need a plug because the housing had one already] maybe they designed it forsite to daimler-chrysler use of the aa axles in the new dodge HD's.. who knows...

when i get my dodge HD next year [wallet permitting :rolleyes: ] i'll add a pan with a plug just for easy and extra lube capacity, although i did wish they had a better lsd. hmm, maybe powertrax will have a drop in set for the 11.5" open rear by then...

Chris N5CWM
11-03-2002, 11:33
AA makes nice stuff but I wish Dodge would have
stuck with Dana for the 2003+ HD Rams. I love
the G80 locker for a street/some off road truck
but for serious off-roading there are much better
lockers as we all know. Why the Dodge AA axles
don't have a drain plug and the GMs do, who knows
but the best thing to do is what I did to my 2001
2500 Dodge Ram:

http://n5cwm.dynip.com/dana-magcover.jpg

Nick, I'm like you in that I love to look inside