PDA

View Full Version : Too much play in the steering! (revisited?)

glclary
10-29-2002, 19:57
I have read the posts on steering rattle etc but I think I have a different problem. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

My 01, 2wd, 2500 with 25k miles has what I think is too much play in the steering wheel. If you are holding the wheel against the resistance of say beginning a left turn and turn the wheel till the resistance of beginning to turn right, you move wheel almost 1/4 of a turn. Read: drives like an old worn out truck.

The local Chevy store has been sympathetic and seem willing to help. They have replaced the steering box and a tie rod end but it didn't help. I went by today and they said they would call "the General" and ask for advice after they compared my truck to one that was in for service and it appeared that mine has twice as much play as the other one.

Anybody else witha similar problem? Am I the victim of two bad steering boxes?

Whadaya think?

Thanks

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: glclary ]</p>

Paintdude
10-29-2002, 20:11
If it is the same steering box as the 4 by4's.Look on the steering box for the letters HD or CB..This might help..If it has either of this suffix codes on it..they might need to put the bearing kit in it..

GM told me that a replacement box would not fix mine, it would also need the bearing replacement ..

dave p
11-03-2002, 15:39
my steering has been loose since day 1. my 98 chev 2500 had much tighter steering. have had this one lined up twice and it did not help. last time i complained the dealer greased it, claims they have a bulletin on it and that is saposed to help, it does not help at all. i am very disapointed in the loose steering, would not buy gm truck again. dave p :confused:

Paintdude
11-03-2002, 17:49
It can be fixed Dave...part number #26101578--------- 21 dollars..the stealer will have to install it for you..It takes some special tools...Order the part from them then ask the service department to install it..

Just check and see if it has a HD or CB on the steering box first.....

Vette Racer
11-03-2002, 18:40
Does this apply to the 2002? My steering has felt loose since day one. You can turn the wheel about two inches before the wheels move any at all. Seems kind of loose for a new truck.

Paintdude
11-03-2002, 18:48
Copy and past this link..01 and 02 from what I can tell..Be advised, the stealers do not like or want to do this fix..They are lazy..

http://community.webshots.com/album/25083303ICULyBoddZ

glclary
11-04-2002, 10:07
My truck is back in the dealers shop this morning. I went by last week and got the service manager to sit in my truck, shake the wheel and then compare it to a 75k mile 2500 gas sitting in the garage for motor work. He found that my truck has about twice as much play as the other.

The mechanic called generous motors Thursday and didn't get much help but told me to bring it in today and they would "do something for it". I mentioned the bearing but they havn't heard of it.

I asked the service manager to find out how they will trade me for the f250 out front on the lot.
;) I am not disgusted yet but I am getting there. Aint too bad around town at 35 but get it on the Interstate at 70 with a 35ft trailer behind and its not fun.

Have a nice day,
Lee
Me thinks they fixt it. Just picked it up and took the long way back to work. My initial reaction is that it drives much better. The mechanic says they simply adjusted the steering gear, "unusual for a new box to need adjusting". "Drive it a few days and if you still don't like it, bring it back and we'll try something else." I think this did the trick. (knock on wood).

With all the bad posts about dealer service, I am happy to report that these guys really seem to be trying to make things right.
[ 11-04-2002: Message edited by: glclary ]

[ 11-04-2002: Message edited by: glclary ]</p>

Paintdude
11-04-2002, 18:39
thats great! I hope it is cured...

glclary
11-04-2002, 20:30
Vette Racer, I didn't mean to ignore your question but I really don't know for sure. I would suspect that the steering gears are the same but I don't know. On my '01 the first box had too much play like you describe and I could feel what I think everybody else is describing as a rattle when I hit rough pavement etc. My dealer didn't know about the bearing that cures the rattle but readily agreed to replace the steering box (they call it steering gear). When I got it back, the rattle feel was gone but I had like 2 to 4 inches of free travel in the steering wheel between turning left and right. Today they adjusted the play out.

Actually all this started because I took my truck to a friend who runs a front end shop to get it aligned. After he finished and drove it, he said I should get GM to get all the slop out of the steering. The dealers service manager knows him and has respect for his opinion. This guy is a former GM mechanic who opened his own shop. I got a little frustated because I had taken it in to the dealer three times for basically the same problem. I don't have much patience with stuff that don't work to my liking but it seems to have worked out fine.

Regards,
Lee

dave p
11-09-2002, 20:15
my steering is loose, it has the letters HD on the steering box. what should i do have a bearing kit installed? thank you dave p :confused: :confused:

Paintdude
11-09-2002, 21:32
Yes...... smile.gif

dave p
11-12-2002, 11:13
called dealer and parts man does not know what part to order for the bearing kit. does any one know the part no. ??? thank you dave p :confused:

Paintdude
11-12-2002, 13:10
Gm part number--26099860--- Low Clearance Thrust assembly replacement 700/708 integral gear...

[ 11-13-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

dave p
11-21-2002, 14:31
paintdude i called two chevrolet dealers and the parts men say.the number 26101578 will not come up on the screen. i got under mine and it had the letters hd on the steering box. where do i go from here? dave p :confused: :confused:

Paintdude
11-21-2002, 21:24
My bad,sorry..I took the original number off of the installation work sheet..

The number on the box is 26099860..

Like I said I am sorry about that.. :rolleyes:

dave p
12-02-2002, 16:18
i took my truck in for the gear kit and the tech tore up the steering box. it seems he dropped somthing in the gears then ran it. they have a new box comming tommorow. will i still have to put the bearing kit in the new steering box? does any one know? dave p :confused: :confused:

Paintdude
12-02-2002, 16:56
Dave you will have to drive it first and see if it does...If they screwed up the first one, I would just wait and see how it drives..I am betting it will be fine..

Be sure to let us know..

car of the week
12-04-2002, 18:11
JUST MY .02 CENTS, I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM YOU GUYS HAVE DESCRIBED AND JUST TOOK IT IN TO SEE WHAT THEY HAD TO SAY. JUST GOT THE TRUCK BACK AND THEY REPLACED THE IDLER ARM. THEY SAID THIS IS THE 3RD ONE THEY HAVE DONE IN THE LAST 2 WEEKS. MY TRUCK IS NOT LIFTED BUT IT DOES HAVE LARGER TIRES ON IT (295/75/16). THE TRUCK GOES STRAIT AND HAS NORMAL PLAY IN THE WHEEL. I AM HAPPY WITH IT.

RYAN

dave p
12-13-2002, 10:52
new steering box and new pitman arm, pitman arm had to be changed with this type steering box as per G.M.
it does steer better and is tighter. dave P :cool: :cool:

zip
12-13-2002, 12:55
Wouldn't it be nice to see rack and pinion steering in these trucks? Anybody know why they don't do it?

zip

Paintdude
12-13-2002, 17:57
Dave that is great news..sounds like they have done some updating on the new boxes..

I do not know why they do not use a rack and pinion..Maybe it is a unsprung weight issue.. :confused:

dave p
01-03-2003, 20:43
just found out today that when i had the new steering box and pitman arm put in, they also put in a new bearing kit. it steers much better! dave p :cool:

letsgo
01-04-2003, 08:21
this is a question.

1st does the steering box have a worm and gear and the pitman arm.

2nd if so, isn't there a cam adjustment on the side of the steering box to get ride of excess play in the steering as in the older vehicals.

3rd I would climb under the truck to have a boo, but the 8 inches of snow just dumped on use is holding me back.

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: letsgo ]

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: letsgo ]</p>

Bill Knieper
01-05-2003, 13:31
When I got my 03 a month ago the steering seemed tight. Now that it has 1,200 miles, it seems loose. Perhaps not as loose as discribed in the messages above, but certainly looser than the 99 Ford F350 I had. Is this normal even in the 03s?

Trippin
01-05-2003, 21:48
I've got 1600 smiles, I mean miles on my 03 and I've now got the famous steering rattle. it's not bad but I can tell it's there. My 99 did the same thing.

JustWondering
01-05-2003, 23:51
Well, mee too! I had the infamous steering rattle and had the bearing kit put in at 8,500 miles. It cured the rattle about 90 to 95%, enough to keep me happy. Now at 18,000 miles the rattle is back and I'm having the same problems that glclary is having. Too much play in the steering wheel, steering wheel has lost its center feel. I have to keep making constant steering corrections when driving, even when driving on straight roads...Man, that wears me out! It makes it very unsafe to drive my $40,000 rig. Like glclary says, it feels like I'm driving an old, worn out truck!
I took truck to the dealer and the Service Manager said that GM is aware of the problem and that they were hoping to have a fix by mid January.
Hmmm...I'll wait n'see.
I took m :mad: :mad: :mad:

glclary
01-06-2003, 15:16
It would be nice if GM would find a fix and do a recall on this steering thing. Mine's still driving good but I am still kinda suspicious. 2 new steering boxes and a tie rod end before 20k? Makes me wonder if they used the same suspension that they use on the Cavalier. :D
The only time my truck has been off road was one time when I stopped at a restaurant that had a gravel parking lot.
;)

Regards,
Lee

Paintdude
01-06-2003, 15:58
Someone is gonna get hurt from this steering problem (I have always said it is a saftey issue)Who is it gonna be?..Then Gm will fix it...Wonder if a old pre 99 steering box would fit?

This problem dissapoints me very much,also..A damper-stabilizer would have to help...

Saginaw(if they are the manufacturer) is just getting even with GM for all those steering rack GM put into the half tons..

Lone Eagle
01-27-2003, 20:44
This should be an easy fix for any dealership with a decent alignment tech. It is very easy to find a worn part. Improper caster or toe can cause driving problems. Find a better dealer. Later! Lone Eagle ;)

Mark Heiken
01-28-2003, 19:35
Have about 16K on my '02. Steering is getting looser. At times on rough stuff I have a rattle that sounds like it is coming right from the steering wheel. Is this the infamous steering rattle. I always figured it would come from further down the column and would be felt as much as heard.

Thanks for all the great advice on this forum!!!

JustWondering
01-29-2003, 02:11
Hey beeler, sorry dude, you gots the rattle! you don't necessarily have to go through the rough stuff to feel it. You can also feel it when making smooth right hand turns...like on a highway onramp. You will feel it more than you will hear it. :cool:

Piney
01-29-2003, 14:10
glclary,

So is your truck fixed? I'm having similar problems. No rattle, just seems a little "sloppy". I didn't notice mine untill around 6500 miles it started having a slight pull to the right. Took it in for an alignment, rotated the tires, etc...and now the steering wheel isn't centered and it seems to kinda drift whatever direction it wants to. I continually have to give it steering inputs to go straight down the road. The dealer says the bearing kit is just for the rattle. They want to put a new box on (and have ordered one), but it sounds to me like they fixed yours by making an adjustment to the steering gear..? Is that right?

Hoss
01-31-2003, 18:49
OK, I also had alot of play in the wheel. Took it in and they changed the steering box and pitman arm. Feels alot tighter now. Question is, do I still need the new bearing kit? Will need to know quick as I have 35,500 on the truck now and will be out of warranty next week.
TIA.

Paintdude
01-31-2003, 19:13
They tell me yes..But I would imagine your dealer would have a fit..He aint gonna take the box off again and put the bearing in the new box..It has to do with the torque setting on the bearing in the steering box..Maybe GM has updated the replacment parts,now...and you will be fine..The replacement part is suppost to have a 50,000 mile 5yr warrenty on it..