PDA

View Full Version : TCM/ECM

Road Kill
05-31-2002, 11:40
Dumb question warning. What do the TCM and ECM stand for or mean? Where can I plug in my vin no. and find out what updates and or fixes are out on my truck? I went to Vehicle Calibration Information site but do not understand what it means. They list a part no. and a CVN no. for different things but I can't understand them. I have a service manager who knows far less then I do about my truck and I want to know what I am talking about when I take him on. Please help me get up to speed. Thanks :confused:

hoot
05-31-2002, 11:46
Transmission Control Module (Allison)

Engine Control Module (GM)

Road Kill
05-31-2002, 18:04
Man am I slow! I thought the E was for engine and the t was for transmission, but could not come up with what the m was for. Thanks Hoot. Still don't know how to find out what updates are out their for my truck. Service guy just kind of told me there were not any, but I think other wise. tongue.gif

FirstDiesel
05-31-2002, 18:52
Hey Road Kill

When you figure it out let me know too!! smile.gif

I'm trying to figure out where and how to find the updates that apply to my truck.

mackin
05-31-2002, 19:47
Road Kill.......
FirstDiesel.....

Here you go gent's .. You'll need your vin # ........

http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/

MAC smile.gif

FD .. 2 wheel or 4 wheel ? Drive ........ Did you go neutral leather or graphite? ..... I ordered a pewter chickened out went black as all previous dually's ...... PA PA pu**y I am. Then my buddies came in pewter /neutral leather int. ...What a sharp combo ....... I'm jealous of his.......

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Road Kill
05-31-2002, 20:06
Thanks Mackin. I have found that site but do not understand the information there. Example: For my truck they say part no. 15094442 CVN 00007676 Bullentin no. N/A engine calibration. Their are several like this and I don't know how to interpret this information. Sorry for being so long but I would like to understand this stuff. My truck is doing fine but I like to keep up. Thanks again. :rolleyes:

mackin
05-31-2002, 20:19
Road Kill ,

If it is followed by N/A (not available bulletin) There is no mandatory recall .......
MAC smile.gif

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Road Kill
05-31-2002, 20:31
Mackin I have 16 listed under my vin no. All are n/a. Ok, then that means no manditory recall but how can you find out what they are so you can decide if you want to have them done. Thanks again as I am way ahead of where I started. lol :rolleyes:

IndigoDually
05-31-2002, 20:51
Many times, the updates that are listed on the site are already installed on your truck, especially if it is relatively new. If the updates are done or not they are listed there because I believe that it shows all applicable updates for Your particular truck.

I think?

John

mdrag
05-31-2002, 22:16
Road Kill,

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003312&p=

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The GM Calibration site:

http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/

This site lists ALL the AVAILABLE ECM/PCM software and updates for your vehicle, not the software that is installed. When new software is available, it will be added to the bottom of each section. The listing will not change after you have an update(s) performed - it will only change when new software is released.

The only way I know to check the INSTALLED SOFTWARE in your truck is to use a TECH2 to download the software versions from your vehicle and check it against the list. This is what the dealer has to do.

I printed out the page when my truck was en route from the factory and, and when I checked and saw that something was new on the list - I went to the dealer with my list of 'complaints' and had the new software installed (after reading positive posts on the new versions).

AFAIK, no one has found a website for the TCM programming - the GM site is ONLY for the ECM/PCM.

See this post for more info:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003046&p=

This is my version of how the 'goofy' GM Calibration site works, and borrowing a phrase from another forum member - I reserve the right to change my mind in the future.

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

FirstDiesel
06-01-2002, 05:42
mackin

We live in S.C. so we try to avoid black vehicles, although I love them.

We have a 2wd Pewter/Gray CC LT. The choice was easy since in the last month in the whole state I was able to find only 2 trucks!!! The one we bought and an identical LT 4x4. We had no interest in the 4x4 so the choice was made.

I actually was looking to spend a little less for this "toy" and was hoping to find an LS to save a few bucks. The wife has decided she likes all the extras on the LT so it was a good investment. This was a present to her from me and to me from her so she gets a say too!! smile.gif

Now the madness begins!!! I've already added step bars and a bug guard. I love the look of those door sills someone posted but without seeing the choices available it will be hard to have the "design consultant" pick which ones to get. And email to the guy turned up an answer of "no website yet" and that was it!!

Road Kill
06-01-2002, 06:00
Thanks Mdrag, Mackin, and all the rest of you guys. I now feel like I can have an informed conversation with a service manager that has a contempt for us paying D/Max owners. I have windshield noise at 65 mph, poor gas milage, and rear leaf slap. All of these issues have been well covered here on this great forum. I just wanted to know how to find out about updates before I do battle with these people. I think they are covering up for a lack of experince with these trucks. We will get into it now. Thanks again to all, may your tanks always be full, and drive with a nice tail wind! Great forum, and great people. :D