PDA

View Full Version : anybody installed ATS kit yet?

dmaxalliTech
07-21-2003, 21:51
Just wondering if anybody out there has installed ATS kit and if there is anything special to know. I am familier with the internals of the Allison but just curious if anybody knows of anything to watch for etc. I am putting one in next week.
TIA
Eric

WhiteDuramax
07-21-2003, 21:53
I believe I know who's truck that is going in, hope it helps big time.

dmaxalliTech
07-21-2003, 22:03
Originally posted by WhiteDuramax:
I believe I know who's truck that is going in, hope it helps big time. You will never guess...

stage 1 and 2

Was back and forth...ats or suncoast

heartbeatcanada
07-22-2003, 06:19
Now he'll put a real whoopin on the other brands at the pulls. :D

sdaver
07-22-2003, 06:20
change all of the clutches save yourself a trip back in :D dave

Kennedy
07-22-2003, 07:47
Call out and talk to Clint! Make sure the kit has EVERYTHING to replace what can/may have been smoked including C 1,2,3, and 4 clutches.

I am waiting for a complete transmission from ATS as adding his stuff to an already thrashed (and mine wasn't really thrashed just run hard) transmission is an unfair test as burnt/glazed cluthes just will not hold.

mtomac
07-22-2003, 09:31
I'm getting the c1, c2, & c3 clutches. Clint said he's never seen the c4 & c5 clutches have a problem, even with what he's been putting the trans thru.

dmaxalliTech
07-22-2003, 21:24
Mike, I am sure we can get some clutches from Valley if we feel the need to go to c4 and c5...

Kennedy
07-23-2003, 15:37
Time will tell. If you have the time/know how, and it is practical to do, I'd suggest looking at the C4, but from what I understand, it is more involved to access.

I guess what I'm saying is that my clutches were in not so hot condition, and adding mods did not give a true representation of the ATS product. I now have new C1,2, and 3 clutches, but am afeered that c4 is a bit lame. That said, rather than trying to fix what I have, we've (Clint and myself) decided it would be best to start fresh with a total ATS transmission. Once I've got a good handle on how it works, I may pull it and try the Suncoast that I have enroute, OR save the Suncoast for another truck. Either way, I feel that I'd like to become familiar with both products...

mackin
07-23-2003, 19:01
Once I've got a good handle on how it works, I may pull it and try the Suncoast that I have enroute, OR save the Suncoast for another truck. Either way, I feel that I'd like to become familiar with both products...
Just thought I'd let you know,I'm available for testing !!!!!!

Soon as I get a lesson on Power modifications .....

Mac http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

sdaver
07-23-2003, 19:48
WHY WORRY ABOUT THE LAST TWO, CHANGE THEM ALL WHILE YOUR THERE........LABOR TO REDO HAS GOT TO BE MORE THAN THE COST OF THE LAST TWO......ITS A NO BRAINER :confused: DAVE

mtomac
07-23-2003, 22:50
suncoast replaces c1, c2, c3,& c4 but not c5

sdaver
07-24-2003, 10:19
you are correct c4 was changed on mine but c5 (1st and reverse) was not.. c4 did have burned places on it. Good luck with it keep us informed :D dave

chevmeister
07-24-2003, 18:17
To those of you who have done the trans, why did you use who you did. Is one better than the other, those installing ATS, did ATS supply the clutches? Does one offer something the other doesnt??

sdaver
07-24-2003, 19:36
after some research on the tdr and by word of mouth I discovered suncoast........it was also complimented by the fact I could drive there in 4hrs and meet them face to face and see their facility...........2500+ miles later and its working as advertised.....some parts are oem and some are their modifyed design...... :D dave

dmaxalliTech
07-24-2003, 20:43
Originally posted by chevmeister:
To those of you who have done the trans, why did you use who you did. Is one better than the other, those installing ATS, did ATS supply the clutches? Does one offer something the other doesnt?? I dont like to answer for Tomac but I think it came down to the adjustability of the ATS. Final cost was decided to be similer after shipping and install is factored in. Mike will be better able to answer you on why he picked ATS over Suncoast.

mtomac
07-25-2003, 08:16
I think the ATS is better suited for dragracing, truck pulling, towing and daily driving. My truck has to do all four. The added valve body with two solenoids and controller is the key to the kit. The controller lets the user adjust at what boost the line pressure starts increasing. The controller also can also control TC lockup and exhaust brake engagment as well as locking up the torque converter earlier in 2nd gear. The controller can be shut off and the trans will shift stock. But best of all the controller gets rid of the top speed limiter.

Burner
07-25-2003, 08:29
Mike, would you post your "new" ET times? I would like to see the results. Remeber to include your trans settings. :D

--Thanks

Burner-----> :D

mackin
07-25-2003, 09:18
I think the ATS is better suited for dragracing, truck pulling, towing and daily driving.I would have been sold if I could of snow plowed too ..... http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

Just an honest evaluation and some PICS of the "controller" will be good foe me ..... I'm still leaning Suncoast or a variation of .....

All this shift adjusting ,may need a copilot ......

Mac :D :D :D

mtomac
07-25-2003, 09:59
here's a pic of the ATS controller

http://forums.atsdiesel.com/attachment.php?s=ab4390573e070f45d85d56e254cad681&postid=798

chevmeister
07-25-2003, 16:05
not that it will buy mew a trans upgrade but my new most favorite pres. just sent me a letter saying that due to the fact i have two rugrats i get 800 bucks. was contimplating having a few more lets see 400 per kid trans is apox 4000 10 kids and im set!

sdaver
07-25-2003, 21:41
mike have you driven one of the ats trucks yet?

mtomac
07-27-2003, 08:25
I haven't driven an ATS or a Suncoast equipped truck yet...

sdaver
07-28-2003, 18:57
kennedy should get to drive mine friday or saturday in south dakoda........headed to sturgis in the next few days and will return home on a week from thursday if we could cross paths I would love for you to drive it. Looks like we may come home thru chicago Im not sure how close that might be to you..... cell in truck is 205 310 7250 w/voice mail

[ 07-28-2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: sdaver ]