PDA

View Full Version : waterproof/weatherproof or none of they above?

imported_
10-24-2002, 21:31
After posting about tranny limp mode problems Hoot responded with an interesting cause for my troubles. It has to do with the rain/water/mud/snow/ice resistence of our trucks and their electrical parts.
Has anybody tested the fording depth of a d/a combo. Is mud and ice going to be a problem on these trucks? I recall other listers having problems with the pcm/tcm in the rain.

Concerns I never thought I would have with a $50,000 4x4 truck :rolleyes:

I decided to pull the Land Cruiser out for the weekend, as much as I would have liked to give the cavileer the stealer gave me a work out, I have decided against it.

It got me thinking, my LC is 24 years old, has a 3.4ltr turbo diesel, a 24v electrical system, gets 30mpg, has 38 inch tires, 50:1 low range, can do 70mph on the highway and has a fording depth of over 6 feet. As a matter of fact you can diconnect both batteries and the truck keeps running!!

And it has never left me stranded, with over 75k on it and a lot of hard rock crawling and mud slinging.

I love my d/a but I trust my Land Cruiser.

sorry for the rant

cheers
brad

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: Big Blue ]</p>

Burner
10-25-2002, 02:05
You'er right! However, I would not hook 15,000 or even 8,000 lbs to the LC and expect it to live. Use them for what they are designed for. ;)

Burner

imported_
10-25-2002, 08:27
I know and that is why I have both, the d/a was bought to haul the LC. I was just expecting the chevy to stand up "like a rock" and be dependable, so far I, personally, am disapointed.

The chevy has maybe 5000km of towing behind it, the rest is all highway miles, up until the tranny going into limp mode everything was minor, but it has been in the shop over ten times.

I think that i am more frustrated with the dealer then I am with the performance of the truck, everything with them seems to be a hassle. :(

And I know the LC isn't perfect, with 0-60 times of 30secs, egt conerns on the highway and scary driving habits with any sort of wind, but she is darn close! ;)

cheers
brad

gardnerteam
10-25-2002, 08:46
Fording depth on a 2002 CC in Guatemala was over the top of my 32" tires with a slight seepage in through the doors. I looked out the window and the water was well over the bottom of the doors. The leaks appeared to be more through the side seals of the door than the bottom. I was more worried about getting stuck and having to open the door to winch out and thus flood the cab with warm muddy water. Didn't happen. Did help wash the underneath of the truck, but it filled with mud again in about 100 yards. Newer body style much tighter and fewer leaks than my 93 with 200,000 miles on it. No electrical problems, no sputters, worked well. Have since lifted the truck 4" to try to avoid such problems. Hate being alone in the jungle trying to winch out my vehicle while standing in deep water and then crawing back into the cab. Takes to Guatemalans a full day to clean up the mess. By the way, Warn 15000 winch is awsome.

imported_
10-25-2002, 09:31
Team Gardner,

You are a brave one, Roaming CA with a truck that needs a computer to fix it, my hat off to you. Always a dream of mine to travel from alaska to SA in the land cruiser. It would be a much nicer trip in the chevy. Good to hear about the water fording. I am thinking of putting a snorkel on the chevy for its "ram air" benifits and because I would hate to dip the nose in the drink and the duramax taking a gulp of water.

cheers
brad

gardnerteam
10-25-2002, 16:19
Brave NO! Stupid sometimes, YES. Curiousity supposedly killed the cat, and I know I have already used up 9 lives, but can't stop. Mayan ruins are just too awsome - and besides, someones got to do it. (Excuse works sometimes with my wife). The DMAX electrical connectors, at least around the engine, are well built and do a great job of insulating the electrical connections from water and mud. I pulled a few apart after I returned from Guatemala and while the outside of the connectors had been doused in mud and muddy water, the contaminants never got past the rubber boots. All of my electrical connections held up very well with no problem. I have had a lot of electrical problems in the past with my 93 CC with the Peninsular. Most of the problems were with the electrical with the 4L80E transmission, but have had none with the Allison. Maybe having the Shaman bless the truck actually worked this time!