PDA

View Full Version : 02 3500 EC had a bigger driveshaft. What's with that?

CanadaKev
05-29-2002, 19:04
Just got back from the tire shop. Put 255/85's on my dooley(like 'em!). 33.21" up from the stock 215/85's @30.6" Puts my speedo off by 8.5%(like that too!) Significant increase in highway tire noise, but now it sounds like a truck. Will sound even more like a truck when I can drop this muffler off. Anyway, I digress, Guy pulls in to the bay beside me with an 02 3500 EC Dmax(asked him if he was a member of the 'diesel page forum',he says he doesn't even have a 'come poo ter' so much for that). We are comparing trucks and accessories and such, I climb under his truck and see a Honkin'(6"? Aluminum?)driveshaft, and I've got this puny 3" driveshaft! What's with that!! His is one-piece mine is two-piece. Is this an EC/CC difference? Is the one-piece aluminum available for the CC? I can't believe how massive that thing is! Help me out please! kev

Redhawk
05-29-2002, 19:21
My truck came with the one piece "telephone pole" under there. Some owners were complaining about "launch shudder" and the dealer replaced the two piece propeller with a huge one piece. The problem is that some model configurations don't qualify for drive shaft replacement. Maybe some knowledgeable member can tell you which year and model qualifies and which don't.

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: Redhawk ]</p>

ndamico
05-29-2002, 19:28
i actually made a post about this earlier. i have a 2002 D/A CC SB with the big honkin' driveshaft. my buddy has a 2002 D/A EC SB with the smaller driveshaft. both are 1 piece. his smaller one looks to be steel, whereas my honkin' one looks to be alloy. didn't you say you had EC? perhaps CC trucks need the lighter driveshaft due to the length, whereas a EC is 8" shorter and can get away with steel. i can post pictures of mine if it helps.

mdrag
05-29-2002, 19:51
The TSB on Launch Shudder on Acceleration specifically excluded model K35943 -&gt; the 3500 4WD CC, and so it is not a candidate for the single drive shaft fix.

CanadaKev
05-29-2002, 19:55
ndamico,
Mine is the CC with the two-piece steel the other guys was the EC with the one-piece alloy.

CanadaKev
05-29-2002, 20:02
Thanks mdrag,
That clarifies it for me.
But that is still one sweet lookin' driveshaft!

mackin
05-29-2002, 20:21
CanadaKev,

So I take it you got spacers? I ordered the ones from AIM .....$197 bucks billet alum ....... Would really like to see how far they stick out with them ......... If you're running 255/85 they got to be "SMOOCHING" big time ........ You seen my pics on 235/85's ..... Got about 1/2 inch at best under empty load ........ What rubber ?........ Oh on the drive shaft ..... Yup I got one of those MONSTER Shafts ........ You're welcome to visit my PICS under MISC. and print one off it ....... And wish you had one ...... HE HEEE tongue.gif
The steel ones do look wimpy next to it .. Even my buddy with a 02 said the same thing .. What ta .. Where ta ..... hell did you get that .....?

MAC :D

CanadaKev
05-29-2002, 21:27
Mac,
Yup I got the spacers. Talk about heavy duty, they weigh 18lbs each! I ordered the 1 3/4" spacers not the 2". Thought they would give me sufficient seperation. Which they do. I have a good 2" between the squat(unloaded). (I could put 285's on 'er and still have room to spare. Although 285's would probably give me some trouble on the front). But there's always a glich. Because I got the narrower spacers I had to grind 1/4" off the lugs 'cause they stuck out too far and interferred with the outside wheel seating properly. Live and learn eh? The 2" spacer would have been perfect with no mods. Wish they had of told me down at correctrack. The outside tire lines up nicely with the outside of the mudflap. They actually look pretty sweet even though they are only a 10" tire. And the 33+" really fills up the wells.

mackin
05-30-2002, 04:42
CanadaKev ,

Well, AIM told me that . I wanted 1 1/2" . They said anything under 2" you might have to cut studs ..... I'll take the 2" thank you ......Beg ,borrow steal a camera all ready ......

MAC ;) smile.gif

NickLeinonen
05-30-2002, 07:32
yes, please do get some pictures!!!!!!! seen many a ford with the 255's, but no gm's to date..

[although i have seen a gm classic style dually w/265/75/16's under it. those tires were not just slightly kissing, they looked like they were mate'n ..lol..]

CanadaKev
05-30-2002, 10:00
Guys, Do I have to get a digital camera? How do you get your pics on here? Help smile.gif

kburati
05-30-2002, 11:11
Just take a normal picture and have it developed somewhere that can put your pictures on a floppy or even better store them for you online(in the US any place that develops film does this).

If you get them online you can post a link if you simply get a floppy you can upload them to a number of picture hosting sites and then post a link to the site.

If nothing else, get them developed on a 3.5" floppy and email me a couple of the pics. and I'll put them somewhere everyone can see them.

I'm also considering either 235 or 255 replacement tires for better float on the beaches/dunes.

email is: kpburat@rcn.com

CanadaKev
05-30-2002, 13:16
kburati,
Thanks, I'll get on it A.S.A.P.

NickLeinonen
05-30-2002, 14:27
if you can't get a hold of a digicam from a friend or someone, you can always try finding someone with a scanner and scan a normal photo and then post that on a site like picturetrail.com or [i prefer this one] webshots.com for the entire world to see... lol..
i love my digicam, and with the new memory stick i have for it, i can take like 1600 photos @ 640x480 if i want.., but i prefer the 1600x1200 so i can only get around 200 or so...