PDA

View Full Version : Attn: MudnUrI...I hate this D4MN Steering Rattle!

FormulaPro
05-29-2002, 05:40
Brandy...How did you steering rattle fix work out?

My service MGR is reluctant to replace the bearing because the part number supplied here is the same part # as factory production.

I will take it up to Manchester if it worked out for you!

Let me know
Keith

MudNurI
05-29-2002, 12:38
sorry this took so long, I got my K5 running, so have been playing with that.

here's the update with the steering rattle.

as you read, the new dealer replaced the white grease, with some nasty looking grey/black stuff. He had said that there was less than 1/3 of the correct amount of the incorrect stuff in it. I allowed him to put the stuff in, with the understanding that if it did not work, he would replace the bearings..we have now put another 1500 miles, and the rattle has not come back yet. I'm not saying it wont..but I also know that some people here have had the grease, and it took some time to come back... I will drive the truck tomorrow and see if I hear it...Like I said now that my K5 is on the road, I let John keep his truck....I will let you guys know tomorrow if I hear it...and I will ask him again if he has

BTW the dealership that I got the grease is Howe Motors in Claremont, NH (chuck is my tech)...they are a Chevy dealership....the other dealership that does the bearing kit is Don Lorenz in Greenfield, MA..they are a GMC dealership (Toby is the service manager).

I'm not sure where chelmsford (SP?) MA is but if your close to Manchester, NH you may want to travel up there to Dobles- they are the largest Chevrolet dealership in like a 500 mile radius up here...the service department seems good, though we only had them work on 1 truck when it broke down over there. they are about 1 1/2 hours from me.

good luck and the one thing STAY away from MILLER AUTO in Lebanon, NH.....FAR FAR AWAY!..they are the idiots that wanted to use silicone to fix my hydrobooster leak...scary huh!

Brandy

FormulaPro
05-29-2002, 13:20
Thanks for the reply Brandy,

How did you find out about the incorrect grease issue? I need to do something...it's getting embarrassing when someone is in my truck and I go around a corner and they say "What the hell is that rattle?" :rolleyes:

Really sounds like a wheel is going to fall off.

I am going to call my dealer again tomorrow and see if there are any additional updates.

Keith

PS...Chelmsford is next to Lowell, MA...south of Nashua, NH.