PDA

View Full Version : Thanks

chuckf
03-29-2004, 04:48
I installed a Kennedy exhuast on my stock 97 6.5 Suburban. 1st real upgrade. What a difference. John also helped me with a vacuum problem (now I know why I need boost gauges). Just in time for our family camping trip to Myrtle Beach. Last year I had a lot of problems pulling my 32' trailer through the hills of PA. Thanks John for your help. Guages are next!

Fredeberle
03-30-2004, 09:18
Did you leave the "cat" in or did you gut it ?

chuckf
04-02-2004, 05:01
Fredeberle,
Since the cat has 3" pipe connections and the new pipe is 3.5", I left the cat out. There are a couple of options to include the cat. One is to punch a hole through the cat to allow the 3.5" pipe to travel through, but my experience is once you punch through the ceramic plates the cat it is destroyed. Plus,I do not have access to a welder and cutting torch which is also needed to modify the existing cat.
The other option is to buy a cat that has 3.5" connections. I don't know where you will find one, maybe one of the advertisers can help.

hump
04-02-2004, 06:32
How about your air filter? I just installed a K&N in my 97, what a difference between the fram that was in the truck when I bought it. The fram wasn't dirty either, but I always had a trail of black smoke when I kicked her down. Its greatly reduced now and the truck pulls a lot better. The clamp that secures it is great compared to the friction fit of the old one. I know there is controversy in regard to K&N and foam etc., but I'm sold.

MikeC
04-02-2004, 13:41
Chuck,

You truck either came without a cat or you lost it, RIGHT :D

Mike

Fredeberle
04-02-2004, 14:23
Chuck, I was more interested in the cat since you are also NYState. I have the kennedy 3.5 exhaust, his down pipe and the turbotech crossover to be installed soon but am not sure I will pass these NY inspections if I fool with that cat. :(
2 inspection stations have told me I probably won't !
Believe I can have the old downpipe flange welded to the new downpipe and keep the cat.

rjwest
04-03-2004, 16:16
If you don't have emmissions check, probe in tail pipe.. when you have tailpipe off. Clean the CAT with a crowbar or other similar tool.

Fredeberle
04-04-2004, 09:19
rjwest: We do have emmission checks, probe in tail pipe and lord knows what else. Also special diesel inspection stations & special diesel stickers.
Don't really know how they do these things, you just drop that truck off, come back 3-4 hours later to find if you passed or failed.
Failed they pull the sticker and you had better get it fixed quickly. There is always traffic stops looking at those stickers.
I don't need that aggravation !

rjwest
04-04-2004, 14:39
Now I'm REALY glad I left NY....Low Taxes, No Inspections. JUST TO DAMN HOT

JohnC
04-05-2004, 13:49
Upstate we don't have no steenkin' polution inspections! But it did get sorta cold in January...

Downstate sucks all the money outa this part of the state... :mad:

rjwest
04-06-2004, 13:28
Understand that....They also Whine big time over everything

Is the picture your " Get the mail " vehicle.

JohnC
04-06-2004, 15:00
Originally posted by rjwest:
Is the picture your " Get the mail " vehicle. Get the mail, get to the barn, get to work....

chuckf
04-08-2004, 07:05
Hump,
Ummmh... I lost it, yeah that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

chuckf
04-08-2004, 07:08
Hump,
I installed a K&N filter as well. I did this before the exhuast install, so I didn't see much difference when I installed the filter. I also had a wastegate solenoid valve problem at the same time (the reason I need to install gauges). Now that the wastegate and the exhuast are corrected the power difference is amazing. I leave for Myrtle Beach tomorrow hauling a 32ft trailer, I'll let you all know how it towed!

chuckf
04-08-2004, 07:14
Fredeberle,
I thought about the NYS Inspection when I didn't install the cat. I understand in June that vehicles 97 and newer will have to be hooked up to an emissions analyzer (for $85) and Albany will determine if the vehicle passes inspection or not. The analyzer is hooked to Albany via computer.

For those concerned, I found my lost cat. If the vehicle does not pass inspection I will have to weld the cat in place. I am going to wait an see. Either way I'm going to have to pay, so I'll take the chance right now.

MTTwister
04-08-2004, 14:11
If you can just jam ( ok - cut the cat and weld) the 'big' pipe through the cat, it will pass the visuals.

Since it's primarliy a soot trap, seems to me it's gonna hinder the first attempt to pass the soot-test, since you're blowing it out at inspection (unless you put your truck through the torture on your own).

TurboDiverArt
04-09-2004, 13:26
Originally posted by Fredeberle:
Chuck, I was more interested in the cat since you are also NYState. I have the kennedy 3.5 exhaust, his down pipe and the turbotech crossover to be installed soon but am not sure I will pass these NY inspections if I fool with that cat. :(
2 inspection stations have told me I probably won't !
Believe I can have the old downpipe flange welded to the new downpipe and keep the cat. At the DP flange is not the only placement for the CAT. My 99 has the CAT about a foot in-front of the muffler. That's the stock location.

My suggestion to make your life easy is this. Rod it out, it's messy so do it outside. Go get your self a 3/4" X 2-3ft pipe and 2lb sledge and go to town. Once "clean" pick up a 3.5" hole saw from Sears. Put it on your drill and cut a 3.5" hole in the ends of the CAT, probably need a vice or very brave friend to hold the CAT in one place. Then you can mark the placement and orientation of the CAT on Kennedy

Fredeberle
04-10-2004, 11:07
Art,
Thanks for the reply: my cat sits over the cross member with about 14" of pipe to the flange.
Figure I don't want to move it forward under the passenger seat so will just line up the DP flange, weld it on and keep everything in it's original place. smile.gif
Chuckf,
Interesting what you said about NYS inspections starting in June.
Am going to start a new thread on this subject !