PDA

View Full Version : Leafblower alternatives??

Alli-max
05-28-2002, 18:18
Alright. I was under the truck yesterday, and was looking at the routing of the airflow. It looked pretty simple to run some additional ducting from the front of the truck to the intake (behind the PS headlight from the underside). The ONLY problem I see though is: What about hard rains. At highway speeds, the water will easily go UP the ducting, and possibly into the airbox. But the questio is, how much will actually make it into the airbox, and start causing airfilter problems.

Anybody thought about trying something like this? I see how I could EASILY construct something, but I dont know if the realized gains will be worth the effort. I am guessing maybe a 10 - 25 degree F drop in EGT's would be worth it though, if I could squeeze that much out to begin with.....

mackin
05-28-2002, 18:52
Put some louvers in so on rainy days you don't use it, with a bypass flap ....... Get your self a JUICE box and toss the leaf blower back in the shed where it belongs ....... Lighten up your load with all those add ON's especially that headlight running over some Buffalo protector ...... AKA bumper,you'all got . What ta ...... You expect to run into a few trees and just scrape some bark off and drive away ....... Not to mention Quote "I drive it like I borrowed it " end Quote ....... Hell you ought to let me drive it. I'LL "AIR" it out for ya ,,,, Probably get better fuel economy too ...... tongue.gif tongue.gif

Now you know I'm just messing with ya, I couldn't resist ....... I hope ....LOL ;)

MAC :D :D

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

pullinpower
05-28-2002, 20:36
LOL LOL mackin thats all we do is scrape alittle paint off, back up and try again :D Don't have to worry about the deer doing much damage with these bumpers :D

Alli,I would go with the rancho 9000's,there going on my rig just as soon as I get the juice out of the way.

NickLeinonen
05-29-2002, 08:22
if you did do the ducting to gain some cool air flow, you could put a deflector at the air box end that fires the air to the bottom of the air box before it can get to the air filter. a few "drain" holes in the air box and you shouldn't have a problem with water entering the filter eleiment

pullinpower
05-29-2002, 08:25
I was thinking the same thing,we could run the ducting from our turbo holes on our bumper Alli,fresh cool air can't hurt anything.

Alli-max
05-31-2002, 20:37
very funny mackin.... :D

"Drive it like I borrowed it" is just to be different then you peddle to the metal boys...

Tell you what. You hook up your juice box, your propane, and a Pratt & Whitney jet motor to that truck of yours. We can get 200 yards apart and head towards each other and see who dodges.. :D :D

If you hit a deer with your new truck, you will be calling me buddy!! Pullinpower hit that one on the head. I have been in 2 wrecks with deer before, and they got the best of me. Nw its my turn to win one of these. Problem is, the deer run away now when they see it coming... :D

Piney
05-31-2002, 23:14
Alli-max,

You might want to take a look at the ram air thinga-mu-jig that western diesel makes for the PSD just to get some ideas. They claim they have water traps and "fences" to keep the water out....

ChevysRus
05-31-2002, 23:38
Why not just face that air inlet to the rear and avoid all the rain, bugs and excuse me....deer guts. You still get all that cool air or are you expecting "ram air induction", you know the faster you go the more air pressure.......have to add a gauge to the "POD" to measure air pressure LOL

HEY!!! I have a great idea, let's hook up the duct to the Air Conditioning vent and set the fan to high speed. This way you get lots of cold air and then you could say with a straight face "my truck really sucks" or you could say "my truck blows" LOL ha ha ha ha

OK OK sorry, just couldn't let the easy ones pass by LOL :rolleyes: smile.gif

konacat
06-01-2002, 00:00
ChevysRus,

Could Alli-max push the air conditioning output through the leaf blower to get the result he wants? Got to rework that duct tape though. Of course then he could say that his truck REALLY blows...past everyone else. I can see it now: "Dang, Junior! Did you see that truck blow by? Sounded kinda like a leaf blower. Wonder what kind a engine he had? Maybe he had one a them jet engines." LOL Ha Ha Ha :D :D

[ 06-01-2002: Message edited by: konacat ]</p>

Nels
06-01-2002, 12:27
I just cut out the 'Kennedy triangle' in the front of my air box. That seems to take in quite a bit of fresh cool air coming through the headlight assembly. It's simple, and it costs nothing to try. I share the same concern about sucking in water when driving through a heavy rain. It should be a simple matter to make a removable baffle plate for the front of the box though. Leave space behind the baffle to allow air in, but deflect the water. Could even have it rotate out of the way on a stud with a wingnut, and just use it when needed. I don't really think there will be that much rain coming through at that point anyway though. Nothing that can't be dealt with by the extra drain holes I added to the bottom of the box.