PDA

View Full Version : Proper towing of a '02 Silverado 3500 D/A 4x4??

Penngrovian
10-17-2002, 09:13
I am brand new to 4x4 vehicles and a bit confused as how to tow this truck should it conk out.

It has the Electronic transfer case, not Automatic.

The dealership service director says "flat bed only".

This may not be possible as we carry a truck camper and the combined height of truck, camper and flat bed tow truck will be over 15 feet and cause problems with overpasses, power lines and tree branches.

The Chevy owner's manual says on p. 4-51 "If you need to tow a four-wheel drive vehicle see "Dinghy Towing" earlier in this section"

The Dinghy tow wording for a 4x4 is not clear to me.

(Dolly towing is out, per the manual)

Can I get by with dinghy towing if the transfer case is put in neutral per p. 2-51?

Can I disconnect the driveline per p. 4-49?

I'm sure someone out there with a GM 4x4 with the Electronic transfer case has had to be towed. How was this done?

Any and all nuggets of information will be much appreciated because, don't forget, I'm brand new to 4x4 vehicles of any kind.

Thank you.

IndigoDually
10-17-2002, 10:30
If you tow the truck "wheels down" as in dinghy towing behind another vehicle you place the transfer case in neutral and make SURE that the transmission is in PARK. If the trans is left in neutral the trans will start to turn as it is towed down the road and it will be damaged due to the lack of lubrication. I have seen this happen many times, that is why I stress leaving the trans in PARK.
If your truck is towed with a wrecker, wheel-lift, or under-reach the above still applies due to the fact that the rear wheels are turning while being towed.

John

Maverick
10-17-2002, 11:41
Put your truck in N and press 2Hi and 4Lo at the same time. This will put your transfer case in N. On the right side of your buttons, look at the white lines. It does what I said above. You can tow it this way.

odoh
10-17-2002, 13:49
'cuse me but can't help but question the "--make SURE that the transmission is in PARK." as that locks things up and then expect it to roll down the road? Seems something would have to give ! :rolleyes: Perhaps there's I've lost something in the definition of dinghy? ~ odoh

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

IndigoDually
10-17-2002, 14:53
"you place the transfer case in neutral and make SURE that the transmission is in PARK."

The trans has to be in park to keep it's internals from spinning and the transfer case is in neutral to disconnect the drivetrain from the axles. Fourth of July I was at a campground in Pa. and the exact thing happened to another person. They had a Jeep Liberty that they were towing "Wheels Down" with a towbar and they had the transfer case in NEUTRAL and the transmission in NEUTRAL. After driving around 150 miles they arrived at the campground, disconnected the Jeep and it would not move in any gear, foreward or reverse. The trans was fried from being towed even though the transfer case was in neutral.
I currently tow a Honda Accord with an automatic trans and it is approved by Honda as long as you follow a sequence proir to towing it. The car has over 10,000 mi being towed without any problems(Knock on Wood).

John

[ 10-17-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

odoh
10-17-2002, 19:44
John ~ Thanks much for the clarification. I just keep learning something new all the time. Thanks again ~ odoh