PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cunsumsion

david
12-19-2003, 08:19
Yea i know i can't spell but my son's 2000 gmc has been useing a lot of oil.
I called GM and they talked to the dealers that has worked on my truck .
The dealers lied and said my truck was normal.
There was a number posted not to long ago for GM.
This was not the normal number,would some one repost it please!!!!!!!!!!
I hate stealerships!!!!!!!!
david :mad: :mad:

Marty Lau
12-19-2003, 13:47
define using alot of oil. The 6.5 uses some as a matter of course. I wouldn't be concerned unless it's over a quart per 1,000 miles. Also check to see if oil cooler lines are leaking.

david
12-19-2003, 18:44
There are no leaks,it uses 1 qt every 400-500 miles.

gmctd
12-20-2003, 07:54
With no definitive description of your son's truck to work from -

If it's 6.5TD, clogged air filter would be first suspect. Next would be disfunctional CDR valve.
Next would be defective turbo bearings, etc. Compressor and intake manifold will be EXTREMELY oily from compressor-end failure. Turbine-end bearing failure will give wet exhaust pipe and blue smoke. Bearing failure should give lower oil pressure readings.
Next would be broken oil ring(s), cracked piston, etc - high crankcase pressure blows the oil into the intake system.
Next would be extreme wear - mileage, overheating, etc.

If it's a gasser, same deal, except with PCV system.
Gasser engines can consume more oil from the crankcase because of high vacuum levels developed thru the intake system.
PCV - oily intake, exhaust. Rings - oily exhaust.

Should see that indicated level of cunsumsion (sic) in either engine type at the tailpipe, in blue smoke and excessive oilyness.

If not, then a leaky oil filter seal, heat-hardened oil cooler line o-ring(s), or cracked oil cooler line(s), leaking only when engine rpm brings oil pressure up.

[ 12-20-2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: gmctd ]

david
12-20-2003, 22:45
Howdy,
It is a 2000 gmc1 ton crew with 90,000mi.
There are no oil leaks,cdr was replaced,very little oil in the intake.
It does'nt smoke at all.
I talked to gm and they talked to each dealer that worked on it and both said it was in normal range(they lied).
GM said there was nothing more to talk about~!!!!!!!!!
That's why i need a good number for a gm rep.
Thanks
David :eek: :eek: