PDA

View Full Version : New member

Chris Curran
12-05-2004, 06:25
Hi, I'm new here and new to diesels. I bought a diesel to pull my travel trailer to star parties and NASCAR events. Having never driven a diesel before, I was shocked/pleased at how well it performed. I was amazed at how the diesel power feels so smooth and instant. This thing is a lot more fun than I expected...

A few questions if I may:

1) Why do diesels have two (or more) batteries? Is it to provide power to the glow plugs and a starter?

2) I have a new 2005 2500HD D/A CC. The drivers seat feels like it has way too much lumbar support dialed in (the electronic switch on the side is already adjusted all the way out). The passenger side lumbar is 'right on' if that helps. Is this something the dealer can adjust or am I stuck with this seat?

3) Block heaters. I see a lot of you talking about block heaters; at what temps should you consider using one? I live in FL and it gets below 30F at night for a few weeks in Jan/Feb, but not for extended periods of time (a few days here and there).

4) I could swear that diesel was cheaper than regular unleaded around here (right before I bought my truck of course). Diesel is now higher than premium unleaded. What happened?

thanks in advance,
Chris Curran

Chris Curran
12-06-2004, 04:51
no one?

mdrag
12-06-2004, 17:37
Chris,

Welcome to the forums. I'll try to answer your questions.

1) Why do diesels have two (or more) batteries? Is it to provide power to the glow plugs and a starter?

Diesel engines have a higher compression ratio compared to gas engines, and the starter requires more amps to do its job. Also the glow plugs and intake heater require high amps at start up. Those with single alternators notice that it may take 20 - 30 seconds for the voltage meter to read above 12V - 13V after starting, and this is normal behavior. The batteries on the Dmax are wired in parallel and are not isolated from each other.

2) I have a new 2005 2500HD D/A CC. The drivers seat feels like it has way too much lumbar support dialed in (the electronic switch on the side is already adjusted all the way out). The passenger side lumbar is 'right on' if that helps. Is this something the dealer can adjust or am I stuck with this seat?

I'd have your dealer take a look at it. I have a 2001, and do not have the DS seat problem that you describe.

3) Block heaters. I see a lot of you talking about block heaters; at what temps should you consider using one? I live in FL and it gets below 30F at night for a few weeks in Jan/Feb, but not for extended periods of time (a few days here and there).

Opinions vary on when to use the block heater. IIRC, the heater is about 1000 watts. I've never needed to use the block heater in OK, but have plugged in when visiting colder climates. One advantage of the block heater is near instant heat output from the vents in the cab. One of the forum members (Mav) used to live in Alaska and reported that the Dmax started at temps well below zero without being plugged in - and no ill effects other than more diesel clatter and smoke when first started.

4) I could swear that diesel was cheaper than regular unleaded around here (right before I bought my truck of course). Diesel is now higher than premium unleaded. What happened?

The usual diesel price increase in the fall/winter due to demand for home heating oil.

thanks in advance,
Chris Curran

Your welcome.

Chris Curran
12-07-2004, 04:41
Thanks mdrag.

Heartbeat Hauler
12-07-2004, 08:09
Ask, and you shall receive. Ummm....sometimes asking twice works too..... :D
JP

Chris Curran
12-08-2004, 07:35