PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on aftermarket posi or locking differential

Quack_Addict
12-01-2004, 07:18
My truck is a 2002 2500HD crew cab with 8' box, 6.0L, open differential. After about 2" of snow overnight, I almost had to put it into 4-wheel to get out of my driveway. On the road, the rear end likes to slip out when on snow/slush, even when giving it light pedal. The tires are new... I'm not running on slicks.

My question is this... if I install a posi (Eaton) or a locker (Detroit), am I going to have any problems with systems like the ABS or other? I run an Eaton in my plow truck and a G80 in another truck and they both handle the snow great.

Thanks in advance.

More Power
12-01-2004, 10:38
The Eaton would be a good choice. As would a factory G80.

The G80 doesn't engage both wheels at speeds above about 20-mph due to its governor weight assembly. Actually, this is a good thing. Having a locked rear diff at higher speeds on slick roads can make it easier to swap ends.

I'll have more input as to the operation of an Eaton posi later this winter. We just installed an Eaton in our project truck (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/randys.htm).

ABS should not be affected.

MP

Kennedy
12-01-2004, 11:19
The OEM G80 unit has served me well. Twin black stripes for 200' and speedo out to about 70mph in 4th gear when the transmission can keep up! :D

Quack_Addict
12-01-2004, 13:04
Kennedy, that's cruel. You've got me thinking about selling my Sonoma, Suburban, plow truck and 6.0 HD to invest in an identical HD, only with a Duramax this time.

Ever since I grenaded... wait... GRENADED the G80 in my K5 Blazer years back, I have always been a little uncomfortable with them. I called Randy's R&P today and I'm kind of leaning toward the Eaton at this time.

Buck
12-04-2004, 11:23
Yeah, the Loyal WI area is full of twin black stripes :D :D :D :D :cool:

tpitt
12-04-2004, 20:44
From what I understand the G80 has been upgraded. I've installed 3 of them in different vehicles I own and have owned. I believe it is a very good unit. I do not like Detroit lockers. They are very tough, but are obnoxious on sharp corners. tpitt

Kennedy
12-05-2004, 14:38
Originally posted by Quack_Addict:

Ever since I grenaded... wait... GRENADED the G80 in my K5 Blazer years back, 10 bolt rears don't count...

BMDMAX has been torturing his on his 2wd at the track with slicks for quite a while now too...

BMDMAX
12-05-2004, 14:56
Three years of daily abuse. 150+ track launches and plenty of nitrous passes. If it can handle daily 500 RWHP abuse plus 600 to 750 HP nitrous runs I think it will do just fine in any application. :D

Quack_Addict
12-09-2004, 09:01
That's true, that was a 10 bolt axle. What could I expect to give for a 10.5" G80 and where could I find a new(er) one (other than the stealership)?