PDA

View Full Version : What is involved with swapping a 6.5 with a gasser?

Shaun091382
12-18-2003, 11:46
I know alot of people wont agree with me on swapping out my 6.5 but unfortunatetly when the time comes i think i have to. Im young and inherited my '93 6.5 from my dad when he passed away..looking at the prices of fixing and replacing costly items..injectors..worn injector pump..leaky turbo..low cylinder compression..i'm leaning towards puttin in a gas engine to lessen the blow of $$. I just want to know what all is involved in replacing the diesel with a gasser and what are suitable engines for replacing the 6.5 in my '93 K2500HD (I do NO towing and it is not a work truck at all) thanks,

Shaun

john8662
12-18-2003, 14:25
My advise as always in this situation is simply find a gas truck and sell the diesel truck to someone that wants or has the money and wrench time to fix it. Diesel are darn expensive, especially when everything is worn as you describe, IP, injectors, turbo, and the engine. Then whats next. the transmission? You also might consider buying a complete diesel engine off ebay, there are several that show up ever so often, most go for about $1,500, with all the parts on them. Although, most are the electronic versions, so you wills still be out finding an IP. I would think you could find another truck for the cost of selling your existing diesel and the gas engine. Good luck!

Marty Lau
12-18-2003, 15:09
Sell the 6.5 the 1993 are sought after more than the 94-96's.

Shaun091382
12-18-2003, 15:14
thanks for your input...to answer ur question i just rebuilt the transmission about a month ago ;) and yes not exactly cheap..i hear what ur saying..i just feel like won't be getting the money out of the truck..i just did the transmission and the body has been totally redone and all decked out with accessories..i dunno it's a shame

Johnny B.
12-19-2003, 08:30
Shaun, it appears to me that you know what the potential problems are with your current truck. Are the fixes really that expensive when you compare them to a new truck "payments" or buying a used truck that may have unknown problems.

Sounds like you want a gasser, I think you would be better off selling and buying a gasser.

cruzer
12-19-2003, 11:40
Shaun, I just went thru these decisions about a yr ago. With a blown motor I figured my truck was worth $1500-2000, then you need to try and find someone to buy it. I shopped around to see what I could get for the price of a new motor, with more power & cooling and the value of the blown truck. It wasn't much! Someone elses problems. Of course I needed something to pull with, they all were newer & had over 100K on the ticker. Then I went to the dealership, & that was out of the question at that time. My truck needs some body work and the trans is still org. After doing it I'm very happy especially w/the added power. Seems from your decription of the truck w/a new motor you would have basically a new truck. You should be good for 100k+. I'd do comp test and pull the pan to check the blk for cracks in the mains. You need to see what you have and what you need. The advantage you have, is it is a mech injected.

Going gas you'll probably have to go small blk w/EFI so you'll have to deal w/all the computers, exhaust and fuel supply and you would also
take a hit on the value because it no longer has a diesel. You might have problems w/the trans too. It will bolt up but the function my be different.

I can't spend your money, but it sounds like you like the truck. my 2cts.

Shaun091382
12-19-2003, 16:02
Thanks for all your responses i am not comitted to going gasser just not comitted to going broke :( i do love my truck and extremely baby it..i never have put it to work hell it's lucky to see 60mph ;) the comment of new motor vs. truck payments and mystery of unknown problem with other vehicles is dead on ..since i am young insurance is pretty crippling coupled with truck payments as i own this on out right..I will still keep an open mind for another diesel engine with obvious upgrades 209,000 miles and still goin!

Johnny B.
12-19-2003, 23:46
Shaun, from what you mentioned it sounds more like you can't afford not to keep your truck. You can see how many miles I have. I bought mine second hand in May 2001 with 211,000 miles. I use mine to tow a 30' 7000 lb loaded travel trailer around the US once or twice a year. Previous owner replaced trans at 180,000 miles. I expect to get 300,000 from my truck and engine.

With new vehicle payments from $400-$800 how could you not afford to drop in a new or reman engine. The big issue is if you can, will or do the work yourself. If you don't do it yourself then you might think twice. Otherwise an engine swap for $3000 will get you a long way in your nice refurbished truck. Good Luck!

Shaun091382
12-20-2003, 07:01
Thanks for your response John i fully understand what you mean...however that being said it is exactly what u mentioned..i have no skill in rebuilding anything! including diesel engines..most likely all the work will be done elsewhere by someone else..problem is tough to find someone nearby..im in Ontario Canada on the lakeshore of lake Huron :( i see i know where i can get a long block for about $3200USD($600 core) locally and a drop in for approx $4150USD($1500 core) they said it included the turbo and what not..my concern i dont know if they are exactly skilled with enhancing 6.5TD i think they build it back to specs i'd like to have things like the dual ilder gear drive installed etc etc...just too hard to find anyone local to do such a thing ;) thanks again for your response

plowking35
12-21-2003, 13:01
http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/forums/
Go to this site and then to the chevy truck forum. Ask for a guy named wyldman. I believe he is from your area, and he knows his stuff.
Dino

Shaun091382
12-21-2003, 13:32
Thank you for your reply plowking greatly appreciated