PDA

View Full Version : AZ Guys - Diesel Emission Tests?

MTTwister
12-18-2003, 09:09
I'm probably going to eventually retire in AZ. So, I'm curious as to the emission standzrds for diesel trucks, and how far I can go with mods on the 96 6.5 befoe I run into problems down there.

The volunteer fireman that moved some stuff for us was under the impression that diesels didn't require emission testing.

What's the story, if y'all please. Thanks.

turbovair
12-18-2003, 12:00
I can tell you that annual emissions tests are required here in Phoenix and also in Tucson.Other parts of the state do not require them.Basically, they bring your truck into the bay, measure your tailpipe diameter,program the computer, and then connect the test gear. Its a light that shines through your exhaust stream to measure its content of dirt/soot. Its called an "opacity" test.What they have you do is rev the engine to redline and hold it there about three times with a minute cool down in between. That is supposed to prepare the engine for the actual test. Then, the computer begins taking readings on the 4th and 5th rev cycle. If the dirt/ soot levels are below limits, you pass. If not, you fail. Then, they check your fuel cap for having a good seal. The truck can fail for that too.They also lift the hood and check to be sure the plumbing under the hood matches the decal. I failed the test once because my turbo wasnt working and didnt know it.I have a VIN F engine with a simple emissions setup-no EGR.I have not done anything to alter my fuel delivery yet.Truck runs good enough.

S\W Off Road
12-19-2003, 08:21
I have a bunch of goodies in my 6.5L TD with the cat removed and am still able to pass with flying colors. If your engine is not running correctly then it will fail the test as it should. One last thing to keep in the back of your head if you move out here, when the heat is in the 120* range: it's a dry heat :mad:

MTTwister
12-19-2003, 09:02
Thanks guys - Guess I can start selectively dumping money into this pit.

Edit - see if 'sig' updates smile.gif

[ 12-25-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: MTTwister ]

Marty Lau
12-19-2003, 13:52
Originally posted by S\W Off Road:
One last thing to keep in the back of your head if you move out here, when the heat is in the 120* range: it's a dry heat :mad: Yup it's a DRY heat so is a Pizza oven! :cool:

turbovair
12-19-2003, 19:33
In the 80's and sunny today.....

ChevyDooley
12-20-2003, 13:08
Uh oh I smell a Phoenix diesel meet? Or maybe thats just diesel smell. Its nice and warm here. ;)

danhercules
12-23-2003, 08:42
WOW, I live in CA, and I though we would have a smog test for the diesel first!! That is one reason I bought it, no smog. I sure hope they dont start that here.

turbovair
12-23-2003, 10:50
Interesting thought, ChevDooley. Perhaps we(6.5 drivers) might arrange a get together at a centralized local Dennys or something. We could all bring our trucks. Cool.

additive
12-24-2003, 11:56
I just failed the emissions test here in Chandler and then passed 2 days later. I changed out the injectors on the drivers side and swapped out the air filter. I haven't done the passenger side injectors, but plan to this week.

I don't know if changing the 1 side of injectors worked, or if I found the way around the test.

I probably would have failed last year, but here is the way around the test. When it is as cold as it gets here (40 degress or so), have the test done. Their equipment doesn't work right and they give you a director's sign off.

I don't mind the test, because I like to know if my rig is running correctly. It is just funny to me that they fail you for taking the test in the afternoon, then 2 days later in the morning they pass you with a directors certificate.

I am still curious as to whether replacing 1/2 of the injectors helped out. I have 153,000 on the suburban, and I doubt the injectors have ever been changed. I am looking forward to getting the other side done and getting the test done next year.

I came from Utah where in Utah County they actually run your rig on a dyno. So you get the emission information along with hp and torque. Best $20 a year I spent on my rig.

Additive

ChevyDooley
12-24-2003, 11:56
Hey its a thought..

Journeydog
12-24-2003, 13:11
Gotta guess that the reason you passed the second time was because you changed the air filter.

Don't have a clue why California doesn't have a diesel emissions test - yet, but that's just dandy with me. :D

turbovair
12-24-2003, 15:25
How many Diesel Page members do we have in Arizona? MorePower, can you help?

RCF
12-24-2003, 19:14
One for sure in Tucson and could be more.....

N7CX
12-28-2003, 16:34
Hello from north Phoenix. Recently had my truck tested in Glendale {59th ave south of bell rd}
no problems once i figured out that you have to mash down and redline the engine. on the certificate under cat converter it said N/A.
even though there is a cat installed. guess what is going to be removed during the exhaust upgrade. I cleaned my air filter {K&N} and changed fuel filter before the test.

S\W Off Road
12-29-2003, 15:49
And thats also why I removed mine too. I kept it just in case a problem comes up but the next year when I tested I had no problem.