PDA

View Full Version : FSD on Skid Plate

G B Sisson
03-27-2004, 07:51
My FSD failed last fall at 140,000.I bought a beta cooler and mounted it on manifold.I decided I wanted to carry a spare and was doing more and more reading here about remote mounting.I bought a Heath cooler steup and his extensionharness.He reccomends mounting on my 4x4 skid plate.Problem is,the FSD is epoxied onto his plate,which makes roadside(or any)replacement difficult.I know he has had good results with his system.Now Im wondering,should I mount BETA cooler on my skidplate with long Heath harness.? Isuppose if I were to use one and keep the other for a spare I would have to drill the skidplate for 2 bolt patterns.Iguess my question is this....If I remote mount to the skidplate,should I use Beta or Heath in that location?...Anyone mounted a Beta in the bumper hole?On bumper holes,my 10 year old son and I have a deal going where whoever sees a 6.5 truck first gets a buck from the other guy.He is ahead.Sure dont see many 6.5s in western Washington..Thanks in advance for any comments on my relocate job.

HowieE
03-27-2004, 09:15
Yes Bill uses epoxy to mount the FSD. The theroy being that heat transfering epoxy will have a greater heat transfer to the plate than any other mounting type. Take a look at my site and see were I mounted the Heath plate and FSD.

Marty Lau
03-27-2004, 17:50
Hi GB;
I don't know if it would make any difference if you mounted the Beta or the Heath set up behind the skid plate or behind the bumper. Infact Heath now has mounting bracket for behind the bumper for 4x2's. I feel that the most improt thing is to do what your doing get it out of the engine bay. I mounted mine (Heath) on the frame cross member under the seat area. I turned those long nut spacers over and drilled 2 holes in the flange bolted it to the flange and it sits on top of the crossmeber. Now if you have a good FSD on your Beta cooler how about mounting them side by side on that crossmember so if one fails you can just plug into the other. On the spare I'd either try and get a "spare" plug or realy tape it up good to to keep stuff out of the spare plugin. Just a thought. :cool:

G B Sisson
03-28-2004, 18:00
Thanks, I like the 2 FSD's side by side. Reminds me of those guys who wear a belt and suspenders.Just think....I could wire in a switch and click over in case of failure,just like dual fuel tanks!Dont think I'll go that far.I am really enjoying my 6.5,great mileage,power and comfort,love the rattle and the DP gives me the confidence that I can keep it reliable. GB

whatnot
03-28-2004, 18:03
Originally posted by G B Sisson:
Thanks, I like the 2 FSD's side by side. Reminds me of those guys who wear a belt and suspenders.Just think....I could wire in a switch and click over in case of failure,just like dual fuel tanks!Dont think I'll go that far.I am really enjoying my 6.5,great mileage,power and comfort,love the rattle and the DP gives me the confidence that I can keep it reliable. GB You could go one step farther and wire in a relay that would switch automatically when it died. :D