PDA

View Full Version : VW Diesels...

Tough Guy
08-16-2005, 16:06
I am considering purchasing a Passat with the Diesel option.....

Do any of you fellas has knowledge/experience with them?

Thanks

mhagie
08-16-2005, 17:05
Not familiar with the passat but my 04 golf tdi is top of the line, power, economy, you name it.
if the passat is anything like the golf it be good.
The 04 tdi is 100 hp now and torque out the ying yang.
Merle

GregCrabb
08-22-2005, 01:07
My 01 New Beetle is wonderful...66,000 miles. I bought it new. Only problem I've had is my ECU went out last year...warranty covered all of it! I have gotten anywhere from 47 to 53 mpg!!!! It's a five-speed and will do at LEAST 125mph!!! I've had mine up to 110 and it was still climbing. That's the only time I tried it. Change those timing belts as scheduled!!!

Tough Guy
08-22-2005, 11:54
I initially was looking at used Passats....now I'm thinking new Jetta...Do you fellas have a TDI forum like this one where I could read and learn?

Cheers

GregCrabb
08-22-2005, 13:23
you bet...
www.tdiclub.com (http://www.tdiclub.com)

have fun ;)

Dimsdale
09-03-2005, 14:24
One of our members/advertisers, Greg Landuyt, has a TDI and upgrade/mod parts for it.

I would contact him for details.

I would love to have one, but the "wise" folks in our local statehouse in MA have decided that we must use CA emission standards, which means no small Diesels until the ULSD is out. I am sure the price premium for this will help eradicate the mileage advantage of the TDI, but I can only hope for the best.

v8volvo
10-31-2005, 19:45
We have an '04 Passat TDI. 2.0L diesel, 5-speed Tiptronic automatic, 250 lb-ft!!! It is an amazing machine, and a terrific long-distance mile-eater.

trbankii
11-01-2005, 04:31
My parents picked up an '05 Passat TDI wagon last spring. Absolutely love it and they are not particularly diesel people. Only problem with it is that my mother has to pay attention to the speedometer - the combination of the smooth ride and the power of the TDI compared to her old Jetta and she has a habit of finding herself well above the speed limit! smile.gif

MikeC
11-06-2005, 05:00
Tough Guy,

Also try vwvortex.com

I haven't been there much but have been told they have great info also.

As far as the TDI, I own a 2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed. A coworker/friend races a TDI Golf burning B20 - B100 depending on where is is running. He has a site at rallyvw.com

Some of his advice to me was to get a 5 speed, more durability and economy, and to enjoy!

I have put 23K on the car in 11 months with a total of 80K now on the clock and love the thing. If I drive "normal" I get 45 - 48 mpg and if I "mileage run" by running within 5 of the limit and shifting around 2000 rpm I have seen as high as 54 mpg.

Guess which vehicle I commute in with 3.39 diesel.

Mike

ps - my buddy has said something about the new PD diesel in the newer cars not being as economical as the VNT's. Exactly what he means I am unsure as I plan on keeping mine a while. mc

tpitt
11-06-2005, 07:56
Chris,
We have a 2004 Jetta Wagen with tiptronic auto, and PD motor. We love it. We have actually gotten as much as 46 mpg with it. I wanted the 5sp manual, but my wife wanted the auto.
Would rather had the Passat, but at the time you couldn't get them with a diesel.
From what I understand the new Jettas are bigger than mine, with more back seat legroom.
Volkswagens have their quirks, but all and all I am satisfied. They take a special oil for the PD motors, but I have lifetime oil changes so this isn't a problem for me. I make the dealer show me the oil before they change it.
Buy one you'll be happy. Terry

78Chev
11-07-2005, 06:31
I just bought an '06 Jetta TDI. I love it. 45 mpg on a trip to Portland and back. Quiet, quick starting, great engineering, handles nice and the new body style has a lot of headroom in the back. My 6'2" son can sit back there. Best of all it's a diesel.
Randy

trbankii
11-14-2005, 05:25
A friend and I just took a roadtrip from Pennsylvania down to North Carolina and back over the weekend in his late 90's Jetta TDI. We got 57 mpg for the trip! Most of the trip was down I-81 doing about 75 to 80 and then south from Roanoke to Greensboro, so slower speeds and hills.

Deansel
11-21-2005, 06:41
We bought the '06 Jetta TDI about a month ago and we love it! It's so much fun to drive with it's spirited torque and good handling. It also has plenty of space inside and generous trunk space. I am 6' and our son is 6'+ and we are very compfortable in it. The new Jetta also has a very high safety rating and the fuel mileage isn't bad either. :D