PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looked at a new Dodge 3500 DRW?

DalDMax
07-29-2003, 13:48
Went to Flying J the other evening to fill up and filling up on the other side of the pump was a brand new 03 or 04 (still had paper plates) Dodge 3500 DRW HD with the Cummins. Very quite, very close to the DMax in noise level.

But what I really noticed were the wheels and tires. 235/80/17's on nice alloy wheels. Filled up the wheel wells nicely. Now why on earth can't GM provide something other then donut size tires on the HD trucks??

tswartos
07-29-2003, 18:50
yup, i stopped by a dealership a while back and they had me take a look at a new one. Popped the hood and started it right up...wow...barley audible. Here's a web site that has some decibel measurements of the latest diesels from the big three...looks like they've finally getting the picture.
engine noise measurement (http://www.mrtruck.net/powerstroke.htm)

Big Tow
07-30-2003, 09:42
I replaced my '01 2500Hd D/A with a new Dodge dually. I liked it so much that I also bought a quad cab short box with the HO Cummins. Now that you can get the HO engine bolted to an auto trans I am a customer. The frame on the '03 Dodge is also fully hydroformed (boxed) like the front half of the GM trucks.

Those 235/80-17 tires do a nice job of filling the wells. Problem is, they are scarce right now. I have 14k miles on the dually and the rear tires are better than half gone, I thinks its all that torque :D . You are pretty much forced to buy another set of GY GS-A's which will wear out right away again.

Other than that, I REALLY like the new Dodge trucks. They are not as nice inside as the GM's and the ride a lot harder. I will say though that for heavy pulling, say 10k+, the Dodge makes my previous and current Chevy trucks look sad. The low end power of the Cummins is astounding.

NickLeinonen
07-31-2003, 18:38
those wheels that are under the drw 03 dodges are steels with chrome skins. no alloys there :( [going by what i remember- not sure how accurage that is now redface.gif

NickLeinonen
07-31-2003, 18:39
those wheels that are under the drw 03 dodges are steels with chrome skins. no alloys there :( [going by what i remember- not sure how accurage that is now redface.gif ]

GMCTRUCK
07-31-2003, 20:41
You don't want a fully hydroformed frame on a truck. Dodge hydroforms the entire frame to save $. Notice they advertise it as being more rigid than the old frame instead of saying it's stronger. There is a difference. Which is why GM only uses it in the front crush zone, not the front half of the frame. Certainly not in the center or rear of the frame where all the weight load and torque forces take place. The GM HD frame is actually 3 different types: mushy hydroformed front crush zone, welded boxed center section, and huge open channel for the rear.

Tractor
08-02-2003, 22:20
Time will tell how the new frame on the CUMMINS holds up.[ can,t say the word Dodge yet]. A few years ago I know of a dodge that bent it,s frame in the hills east of town. Another that bent it on a county road while flying across railroad tracks. Since then they have been built tougher though. Not many stock trucks pull bigger loads then that inline six CUMMINS. I really doubt if dodges frame is now weaker with the H/O 6 speed NV5600 at 305HP and 555ftlbs.
TRACTOR,Mrs.TRACTOR and T.J #364.. Ok here goes 7 G.M trucks and cars and 1 Leather Fully loaded Brand New 2003 1 ton Dually CUMMINS H/O 6 speed.[just can,t say the word dodge yet]....

smartfix
08-11-2003, 19:12
hello there

Just a foot note my friend has a dodge and 2003 loaded.. It has been in the shop .. The Front end frame is bent for no reason.... Rig has 7,000 on it
he tows.. Dodge is doing a buy back with him next week .. He has a Dmax on order.

From steve :(