PDA

View Full Version : Make up my mind already

Kwasyd
01-09-2005, 08:00
Hey folks.
I am wondering if you all could give me some advice based on experience. Being this is a diesel forum I am thinking I know the answer but I am looking for an objective bit of advice. I have a 5.2 GMC Sierra SLT right now. With new rug rats arriving soon we are looking at getting a crew cab as a family vehicle. My choice now lies with deciding whether to go gas or diesel. During our short Canadian summers we spend a good part of our time pulling our 27' travel trailer. Most of the winter is general travel through the snow. I am very happy with my 5.3 though it does lack a bit of power when the trailer is connected. Do diesels add up to a lot more maintenance? Is the extra power worth it? I have heard both sides. My dad drives a Duramax and said he couldn't imagine driving a gas job ever again. A mechanic friend said you would be crazy to buy a diesel... Just wondering what you all think. Thanks in advance :)

madmatt
01-09-2005, 15:59
I'd say it's mostly just personal preference. I had a 00'6.0l that I pulled my 24' mx quad trailer all over the country w/ and loved it. I got very near the same fuel milage as my buddies w/ diesels, the diesels cost more to buy, here diesel costs nearly $.40 more per gal maintence is more expensive and if you plan on owning it past the end of warr. it will usually cost a ton more to have it repaired. I've repaired out of warr. D-maxs for more then a gas engine owner could have put a new or gently used complete engine in for. so depending on how often your going to tow w/ it compared to unhooked miles is how I'd make my decision. I bought the 6.0 due to cost and the fact it was going to be my daily driver as well and didn't want the added cost to maintain it when i didn't feel I really needed it.

B1powered
01-10-2005, 15:45
Drive it and se if you like it.
You can add alot of power through simple electronic plug ins with the D-max. You can't do that with a gasser.
The maintaince isn't a big deal. You'll change the oil on any truck, the only thing extra is a very simple to change fuel filter. The new diesels are great for cold weather starting, have ALOT less noise and generally deliver better mileage compared to a gas engine of similar power.
You will also get better resale value years down the road from the diesel than a gas engine pickup.
Just some things to think about.

Some just can't stand diesels, many love them.