PDA

View Full Version : Question for you RV'ers

MaxRock
07-19-2002, 11:48
I am looking into setting up my 27' TT to pull tandems. The second trailer would be a 2500 pound boat. What are the pros and cons of this type of set up? What are the length requirements? I've searched Texas Dept. of Public Safety and Texas Dept. of Transportation and could find nothing about length.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
MaxRock

RVGuy
07-19-2002, 14:12
If you don't receive a definative response to your post here, you can also try the forum at RV.Net. There are some towing knowledgeable folks over there who may be able to answer your question.

[ 07-19-2002: Message edited by: RVGuy ]</p>

tmg115
07-19-2002, 14:25
you can do 2 trailers. we do it all the time when hay season is here. i don't think there is a size limit but i can be wrong.

i live in texas by the way.

sonofagun
07-19-2002, 14:28
Max,

I'm fairly sure that Texas has a length limit. Try calling Tx DOT. Upside : you get your boat there too. Downside: Longer, more sway, generally have to unhook the second trailer to back up.

Good luck,
Bob

DmaxMaverick
07-19-2002, 15:14
I'm not 100% sure about Texas, but in every state I'm familiar with, you can not pull double ball hitch trailers. The first trailer has to be a fifth wheel, and the second can be a ball type hitch. I've seen a few double ball hitch combos on the highway, but they just haven't got caught yet. you may also be required to have a CDL.

Also, there is a length limit. It is according to your GCVW. Check with TDOT on that.

TXMAX
07-19-2002, 21:18
OK, here is the deal in Tejas. The the entire rig cannot be longer than 65ft. That is from the front bumper on the truck to the transom of the boat, not the motor. I don't understand it either but that is what I got from the DPS here. As to tandem towing with a TT, I was recently told by another RV'er that it is legit but I have not confirmed that. I pull a 5th wheel and a boat that is 64.5ft long with the truck included. It is an easy pull and you can go faster then you should with the D/A combo. You have to be carful pulling into places and forget backing up but the boat follows the 5er better then it does the truck in terms of tracking so if you clear the RV the boat will be fine. This is alot of rig to stop so get brakes on the boat trailer if you don't have them. I recommend a double axle boat trailer too because if you have a blow out you won't be able to tell or see it. It sounds weird but I couldn't tell until I was getting vibration in the drive train from the wheel itself running on the pavement. I then went and bought a double axle trailer. It is not as big a deal to tow double as it seems at first but you do get the 2d trailer swaying without much of reason, again because of the RV you can see it but you can't really feel it so you have to watch it. If I were going to try it with a TT I would get the anti sway type hitch and then realize you may decide to trade in the TT for a 5ver. As a matter of fact they have the RV show going in Ft Worth this weekend... good time to trade up. I have been doing this for about 3 yrs now and it really isn't a big deal and the D/A handles the load much better then my PSD did. You can go to www.irv2.com and find other people that tandem tow with TT's and learn alot more, also call TX DPS and ask them about it. They have a specific dept that handles this type of thing. Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps.

Abe :D

csimo
07-19-2002, 22:49
Don't know Texas laws, but MOST states have an overall 65 foot limit. Most states allow two trailers as long as the first one is a fifth wheel and not a ball hitch. These are the UCC standards and most states have adopted them.

Most states have an 80,000 pound combined weight maximum as well, but we won't hit that with our trucks.

Bart Timothy
07-21-2002, 12:22
Try http://www.rvsafety.com/state.htm

MaxRock
07-22-2002, 08:04
Thanks everyone for all of the great input! If 65' is the max length, starting off with a 20+ foot long truck, a 27' TT (plus 5' to 6' for tongue), doesn't leave much room for the boat! Looks like I'll be making 2 trips!

Thanks again!

MaxRock

2DAMAX
07-22-2002, 20:29
Guy's chances of ever getting pulled over are slim to none ,just hookup and have fun within reason. :D