PDA

View Full Version : ext and int protection

David Proske
03-28-2003, 14:56
My stealor is trying to sell me a protective coating that they apply that called "Resistall, A Touch of Class". They claim it is a protective product that they apply to the paint and interior cloth and leather to protect against paint damage and interior stains. They claim its guareented for 5 years, then they reapply it.

They want $295 for it. Anyone heard of this? Is it a rip? Will it start to turn yellow or chip in six years? Kinda sounds like a snake product to me, but anything to protect this $40K investment I'll go for.

a64pilot
03-28-2003, 15:17
IMHO all these similar things are a rip. The only things that they protect are his wallet. If it really did what they say it does how come the really expensive sports cars etc. don't come with it.
Save your money or spend it on your wife, you'll get far more benefits that way. ;)

Joe P
03-28-2003, 23:44
Dave sounds like a bunch of B/S ,Take a look at the Zaino Bros. line of products,alot of the guys on the site use them, myself included. I get alot of comments from people about how good my truck looks.

Mustfish
03-29-2003, 06:34
Dave,
Save your money. Chances are they would apply nothing to the paint and scotch guard your interior at best. Look at someones truck after 5 years of good care and I'm sure the truck will look just great. My car dealing uncle always told me to buy the vehicle and forget about the hype. My dealer wanted to sell me a $1500 extended warranty for my Dmax. I did'nt do it and still get offers for it all the time in the mail. I might not even own this truck until the warranty runs out. Some of the dealers here in NC are giving 5 to 7k off sticker just to sell a truck so be careful. They are getting desperate for that profit margin.

Jim

GMC-2002-Dmax
03-29-2003, 08:43
Dave,

IMHO buy some ZAINO products and do it yourself.
On the interior I use a dampened cloth with water for the dust that accumilates and WINDEX on the windows.I don't use ARMOR-ALL or any other products.

It's nice knowing your truck is clean and knowing what your using.

I remember guys that used to sell "SNAKE OIL", don't get suckered in to buying it.

GMC ;)

DIESEL/VETTE
03-29-2003, 11:14
it is really hard to beat ZAINO, i use it on my vette as do all my vette friends. it is
the most durable, long lasting polish you can use, works great on polished alum. rims also.

http://www.zainobros.com

Paintdude
03-29-2003, 21:44
Another vote for Zaino here..If you have leather interior, I have always used plain ol`baby oil on my other trucks and still do on my wifes 1988 98 OLDS..I use it on the vynil (sp?) top also, works great..Rub it on and let it soak in-dry..It is a trade secret, baby oil.. smile.gif

All you are getting from the dealer is a 5 yr warrenty on the finish and seats for your money..There products will not do much for seats and finish after 5 yrs..Most likly shorten thier life....read the fine print!!

NWDmax
03-30-2003, 09:10
The dealers around here call undercoating,fabric or leather protection and exterior treatment a "3-way". It's real spendy and imho its a way to get screwed 3 ways!
I've been using Zip Wax to wash and Eagle One Wax as you Dry spray wax. The stuff really works easy and residue free for a quick wax.
I'll have to try the Zaino product you guys are talking about.....
Blake :D

atvpilot
03-30-2003, 12:49
Hey Guys,
I read this post about the Zaino Bros products. I am by no means knocking the product,but it seems like this process takes a little longer than most polishing products. Is the product that good and is it worth it? I almost threw out all of my detailing products and was considering buy Ziano until I read how long the process takes. :cool:

ps Dave P ,I used to work at a dealership and that package it a total rip off.

GMC-2002-Dmax
03-30-2003, 14:58
atvpilot,

If you are in a hurry :eek: ...........Zaino makes an additive to speed up everything.

It just came out in the past 6 months and I have yet to try it. It is a hardener or catalyst for the products.

I will be doing some Spring Cleaning very soon and may give it a try.

GMC ;)

David Proske
03-30-2003, 16:15
Thanks for the replys guys. I pretty well figgured they were BS'ing me :rolleyes: I will give the Zaino products a try. I had been using Meguires Gold Class wax, but it almost seems like the harsh sun down here makes for a loosing battle short of trailering a portable garage to park the truck in while at work.

Redhawk
03-30-2003, 16:28
My wife had this stuff put on her new Envoy. It hasn't done a thing as far as I can see. I wouldn't ever use it again. I'm going to complain to the dealer when I get a chance.

Paintdude
03-30-2003, 17:18
The new Zaino addative works great...If Zaino was easy everyone would be using it..It takes some work to get the best results out of anything..When it is easy and simple it is always lacking something..Many things in life are like that..

Zaino is just plain awsome,,read the DIRECTIONS!! smile.gif

mike.morris
03-30-2003, 20:13
I have some questions for the users of Zaino products.

1. When you get a scratch or other paint blemish, what methods do you use to repair the imperfections?

2. How would you remove the Zaino products from your finish if you wanted to? I read their entire site, and I cannot find anything that would indicate removal of the product (not that you would want to if your finish glows), just curious.

3. Can these products be used on a gelcoat fiberglass boat? I have a Ranger bass boat, and it is in need of a good polishing, and I like the idea of the Zaino products over traditional waxes.

As a chemist, this stuff intrigues me, and I am a curious individual that likes to try new things. I can already feel my wallet getting lighter. I have only had my truck for 2 months and I am loving the power and mileage. When I get time (yea right) I will post some pics.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Paintdude
03-30-2003, 21:00
Go to www.zainobros.com and read the instructions on application and such..

Most people that have problems with Zaino, never read all the instructions...

It will make your blue truck look great applied correctly.

I seen a website that a guy had calling it snake oil and had pictures with comparisons with other products..He never read all the directions..Doh!

James S
03-31-2003, 23:03
Hey There,

I can only find baby lotion, you said baby oil. What exactly does it do? I would assume just a small amount. I love my truck. I am getting 20 to 22 miles in town, [to the imperial gallon] and 24 to as high as 26 miles on the highway at a steady 100 kilometers an hour. I will look for a reply, because I am vary curious. I have never heard of baby oil being used on the inside of your vehicle. The odor would give it a nice smell, but what does the oil do? I also got the Leer 122 cap, and it is great.

James

Dmaxin
04-01-2003, 10:39
James, baby oil is just mineral oil with a little fraigrance(sp) to it.

Paintdude
04-01-2003, 20:59
Zaino can be removed with DAWN dish soap..

Baby oil is like he said just mineral oil..ask a new mother if she has some in her diaper bag.. :D

James S
04-01-2003, 21:04
Hey There,

I am curious what you use baby oil on, and what for. What does it do exactly?? Does it protect, moisten, deodorize, what? I have never heard of this. Please give me all the info you can, as specific as you can. Thanks. I am just vary curious. I assume it is for the inside only, correct??

James
PS, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your great info and help when I was picking out my truck. Because I do not drive extensively every year, I think I have a truck that will last me, possibly, the rest of my life, given it is in a heated garage whenever it is not being driven, and is driven vary casually. [No not at seventy in the hundred kilometer zones, but not at a constant one-hundred and fifty kilometers an hour either, if you know what I mean.] Thanks again to all of you. You have been great and I know where to come if I have a problem.

Paintdude
04-01-2003, 21:33
James, it puts nutriants back into the leather and vynil..The Doctor Vynil guy who comes by the shop all the time told me about this years ago..He is a good freind of mine and has been in the bussiness like me for well over 20 yrs..I have been using it for years on tops and seats..

You just put it on and rub it in..let the material soak it up..wipe it dry on the seats..I will do it then let it set over night, then whipe them with a dry towel again..

It is to make them last..not to make the PERTY..Use silicon if you want perty..This is why most shops do not use it..It donesnt make them fast and perty in 5 minutes..The leather in my wifes 1988 98 olds still looks like new after 160,000 miles and all those years..The padded vynil top it the same way..The cats set on it everyday also..The material has to stay flexable to not crack..When it drys out it starts to show wear, then it is to late..

These new autos have what we call BELLY SKIN on the seats..Thin low grade soft leather..

atvpilot
04-02-2003, 03:26
GMC 2002,
Let me know how that Zaino accelerator works. I had planned on getting the hose out and start to town on the truck till i got up and saw the snow on Monday am.Y a know what the say about the weather " The Great Northeast, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes it will be worse than it was." :D

RATDOC
04-02-2003, 04:07
Anybody ever try liqui-tech??? I've heard it's good, but never tried it myself.
www.liqui-tech.com
Tom :confused: