PDA

View Full Version : Electrostatic Corrosion Prevention

johns
03-28-2003, 07:52
Saw a device on TV today. The Counter Act Electrostatic Corrosion Prevntion Control device. It uses low amperage, high voltage to "eliminate" corrosion.

Anyone hear of this device? Is stuff electronic snake oil? It runs $ 250.00.

a64pilot
03-28-2003, 09:37
They are used on boats all of the time. The navy in particular uses a device on their mothballed fleet.
Of what use it would have on a truck, I don't know.

conradv
03-28-2003, 10:13
You must have seen the "2 guys Garage" with their hookup to the Tonka Truck?

I usually have my reservations about anything shown on their show, as more money is involved rather than actual product capability.

Would this really work?

Colorado Kid
03-28-2003, 11:05
I don't know, but my '91 doesnn't have one and isn't rusty. My father-in-law's '88 doesn't have one and also isn't rusty. My dad's '82 doesn't have one and is very rusty...pehaps this has more to due with the trucks themselves than with any galvonic/cathodic/electrostatic protection?

Every truck I owned prior to the '91 there was a constant battle with rust which I usually lost within 10 years after the truck was manufactured. The same was true for my dad and father-in-law, but none of us have rust on our newer trucks (dad also has a '96). Now that the manufactures seem to have rust pretty much solved it would be a great time to go into business with a mystery box that "prevents" it...the testemonials would be great.

If somebody wants to give me one I'll photograph every inch of the old '82 now and install the box...if it doesn't get any more rust I'll tell the whole world, but I'm not spending $250 to stop the rust on a truck that isn't worth $600...mostly because I don't think it will work.