PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Front-Mount Reciever Hitch Pics

TxDoc
03-20-2003, 19:37
Someone posted about this, recently. They altered it, but I cannot remember or find who it was.

If you know of anyone with pics, please let me know.
Thanks

FirstDiesel
03-20-2003, 19:49
I don't have pics but have a hitch. What are you looking to learn???

wanderer23
03-20-2003, 19:56
Tx Doc,
I just removed a front mount receiver off of my 01 GMC. Do you want a pic of the receiver it self, or mounted? Send me an email at earlyretire@attbi.com with your address and I'll send a pic.

Mike

TxDoc
03-20-2003, 20:39
I am wanting to see where it actually exits. Hidden Hitch tells me no air dam cutting. I am also trying to see what I have to do to get it to fit, as my WAAG brush guard mounts using the same bolts--for the tow hooks and it has a vertical piece that may or may not be a problem, depending on how long the mounting hardware protrudes down to the place where the crossbar attaches.

VaDmax2003
03-20-2003, 21:30
I am also interested in recommendations, suggestions, experiences or advice concerning a front receiver for my 2003 3500HD 4WD. I had a local trailer supply shop make a custom one for my 96 suburban and I used it for a bike carrier as well as a carrier for a second spare tire when I drove to Alaska. I think Warn and Hidden Hitch make them but imply that it involves making a hole in the air dam and possibly relocating the front license plate holder, which, as a Virginian I need.

glamisboy
03-20-2003, 22:08
TXDOC--

I was told the same when I purchsed the hidden hitch (no cutting & hidden). After getting it home, struggling to install (because the "tabs" they welded on could have been a bit farther apart). I was disappointed with the ground clearance, it was very low, and I felt the reciever tube was a bit short. I took mine to a local hitch shop where they cut off the old tube and remounted a longer one to the top of the crosstube. Now mine comes through the airdam, nice and "hidden". I did have to make a small cut after the mod but I believe it was worth it. I will e-mail you pic's if interested.

In case you may be wondering why I didn't return it, it was because I paid $75 out the door. The hitch shop got me for another $75, but now it is truly a hidden hitch. They could easily make it this way from the beginning, who knows why they don't.

If I ran a front plate it would cover it up, but I don't so I don't have to worry. Yes, it's also a CA law to have a front plate.

TxDoc
03-21-2003, 09:45
glamisboy--you're the one who made the post I could not locate. Yes, if you can send me a pic or pics, I would appreciate it. txdoc2@-removethis-AOL.com. Thanks

glamisboy
03-21-2003, 11:53
TxDoc --

I will take some pic's this weekend and shortly thereafter send them.

FirstDiesel
03-21-2003, 17:42
Stock on my 3500 it exits under the airdam. No cutting no nothing. Just bolted on.

sdaver
03-21-2003, 18:44
got one...made by warn.....you have to trim about the size of the tubing from the air dam..........no better way to put my 22ft deck boat in my lower garage.......also doubles as a winch mount...... :D DAVE

Jack's Dmax
03-23-2003, 02:06
I have recently installed a receiver in the front of my 03 Dmax and didn't have to do any cutting or drilling. I got it mostly for my winch which I can use either in the front or rear. I agree that it's too low and I worry about the winch getting damaged if left in front.

If I decide to mod mine like Glamisboy did, I would buy one of those decorative plugs that have a GM logo or something similiar, and attach the OEM license plate bracket to it. When you need to use the front receiver pull the pin to remove the plate and plug in the hitch.

Jack

richp
03-23-2003, 14:29
I installed a Draw-Tite front receiver hitch on my '01 K2500. I had no problems bolting to the points where the tow hooks are mounted, then replacing the hooks over the bracket for the hitch. It fit low, as others have noted, and would not be suitable for very aggressive off-road activity -- more than once I've plugged mine with sand or gravel coming out of a gully or wash. Mine just barely fits under the air dam, bending it up slightly in the middle, but not enough to cause me to want to cut it.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips

BlueTank
03-23-2003, 15:42
TxDoc
I just recently installed a Reese front reciever hitch on my 03. No cutting required. All though I did trim one of the tri-angle shaped tabs at the bottom of the 03 air dam. It fit well and looks good. You just need to have thin arms and articulated joints to get the torque wrench up to tighten the upper bolts that go into the tow hooks from the side. I don't have the installed measurements with me so can re-post later it you want. I don't have a digital camera so can't send any pics.
Galen

[ 03-23-2003: Message edited by: BlueTank ]</p>