PDA

View Full Version : HID headlights for Duramax

Smittybilt
03-19-2003, 22:57
Has anyone out there replaced their 2002 and back stock headlights with the Sylvania HID lights that I see advertise online? If they have how do they compare to stock at night and do they like them? They're also supposed to be really easy to install and just use the factory plug. Rey

Joe Pool
03-20-2003, 00:24
Rey,

I have had them installed for about a year now. The HID low beams are a very clean white light. They really light up the road signs and reflectors. The high beam bulbs that came with the set are "Silverstars". I rarely even use the high beams anymore. I am also installed a set of the 1010 aux low beams. I highly recommend these lights.

I bought mine from www.buytruckstuff.com , you may also want to check the price directly from sylvania (run a search for XENARC).

On installation I found that it helped to trim some of the plastic headlight mount on the bulkhead for better clearance on the ballast units. Other than that they are plug and play.

Hope this helps, Joe :cool:

On edit: I would also recommend Kennedy's headlight booster kit. smile.gif

[ 03-19-2003: Message edited by: Joe Pool ]</p>

DieselBunny
03-20-2003, 05:29
I've had mine for about 3 months now and I love 'em. I'm out every night working in the dark and I find I'm alot more rested when I get home after my run.

Question for Joe Pool: I also have installed the 1010 aux lights.... how did you fit them into the stock fog location or did you get a new air dam?

----&gt;Kevin

c5dura
03-20-2003, 08:16
So the 1010 Aux lights won't fit in the stock fog light locations? I thought they were the same shape/dimension?

Also, can they be wired to run off the OEM fog light switch? (I know they come with some sort of wireless remote or something)

I busted one of my OEM fog light brackets and would rather put that $87 towards a set of 1010s...

[ 03-20-2003: Message edited by: c5dura ]</p>

Smittybilt
03-20-2003, 20:10
Hey Joe;
Do you have a picture of the 1010 auxiliary lights? Do you have a website to buy them at? Thanks. Rey smile.gif

Joe Pool
03-21-2003, 10:10
Smittybilt (Rey),

For item description and pictures go to http://www.sylvania.com/auto/

For pricing try the sylvania website and http://www.buytruckstuff.com

DieselBunny (Kevin),

They fit in the stock fog light location in the factory Chevy air dam. I removed the factory fog lights and brackets. I had to fabricate custom mounts.

Joe :cool:

[ 03-22-2003: Message edited by: Joe Pool ]</p>

Smittybilt
03-22-2003, 10:43
Joe;
Thanks for the link. Did you use the existing wiring that was there for the OEM fogs or did you rewire the fogs. If you did, where did you put the switch? Also, did you look at PIAA's (1500's) during your search for replacement fogs? Thanks for the help. Rey

Joe Pool
03-22-2003, 22:06
SmittyBilt,

I did not use the original wiring. I used the remote switch kit that came with the 1010 low beams. You can put the switch anywhere that you desire -- it is a wireless remote.

Joe :cool:

FirstDiesel
03-23-2003, 07:58
Okay, I give up. I'm not finding anything about these 1010 lights at the listed url's. These lights are a direct replacement for the stock fog lights?? Does anyone have a better location for where I can see them?
Thanks

Smittybilt
03-23-2003, 09:48
Hey Larry;
I found them on the Truckstuff.com website. Just pictures and price but I also think you can go to the Sylvania website and check them out.

Rey
http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product.asp?selcategory=26&p_gpID=80

http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/prodinfo.htm

Hope this helps.

DieselBunny
03-24-2003, 00:55
Couple of replies to the thread here ....
Yes you can use the OEM fog switch and power supply .... I had to change the plug that went into the ballast (power supply ro the fog lights)...easy to do though .... just change the plug body to the sylvania one. the pins inside are the same. use a 14 gauge solid copper wire to push out the pins then snap 'em into the new plug body.

Joepool .... I'd love to see what kind of mount you figured out..... I managed to get them mounted but I've been looking for a new airdam that will accomadate (sp?) the lights a bit better .... PIAA only seems to make one for round lights. BTW -- if you want more light ... change the bulbs to the DR-1 bulb .... the same one that the 2020 system uses .... much whiter and brighter!

----&gt;Kevin

Smittybilt
03-30-2003, 21:34
Well got my Xenarc HID's and installed them yesterday. Had to wait till dark to aim them. They're incredible compared to the stock headlights. Really bright white light that totally illuminates the area in front and besides the truck. They were brighter than I thought they would be and made driving at night so much easier. I'm glad I did this. Now want to replace those bogus fogs with something. Rey

a64pilot
03-31-2003, 11:38
Is sylvania the only option? Anyone out there that has a kit or something to upgrade the existing headlights? I really wanted HID for the brights too.

Jake99Z71
03-31-2003, 11:52
a64pilot

You won't be able to have HID for the brights. Reason being HID lights are not designed to be turned on and off repeatedly. If we had a single bulb system with a dual filiment like a 9007 this would work by way of changing the position of the bulb or reflector. Also once you try HID on just the low beam you will see that the High beams are not needed.

a64pilot
03-31-2003, 12:16
Jake,
What your telling me I guess is that none of the OEM vehicles have HID for their bright lights? I didn't realize that; thanks.

Smittybilt
03-31-2003, 20:44
a64pilot;
I chose Sylvania because they had a specific headlight that could replace the OEM lights with an HID lowbeam. It was so simple to switch them out. Other manufacturers sell replacement lenses but are not specific for the Chevy. I chose to take the easy way out and was done with the install in 5 minutes. The only pain in the neck was aiming them. I also thought that the price was also very reasonable compared to others ($489 + 15 s/h). I am SO glad I did this. These lights are awesome. Rey tongue.gif