PDA

View Full Version : Factory Side Molding

MikeyB
04-02-2005, 11:07
I have a Pewter 2001 2500 HD Duramax. There is a factory applied side molding from the front door to just in front of the rear wheel that is painted with a chrome strip. On the driver's side only it has a red tinge to it that looks like rust spots only on the painted portion. The chrome is fine. I have tried scrubbing and cleaning it with any number of potions with no luck. Anyone else have this? Since it is only on the drivers side I am wondering if it is a defective piece of molding.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

More Power
04-11-2005, 19:24
The finish used on the trim moldings are somewhat susceptible to certain road de-icers, etc., as is the chrome trim around the grille. Here in Montana, I've seen some light pitting or etching due to the road de-icer used in the winter.

The body side trim moldings aren't all that expensive, and are easy enough to replace if you need to get the cosmetic appearance back.

MP

MikeyB
04-12-2005, 14:34
MP,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Colorado does use mag chloride and I have not heard good things about it. The molding looks like it is put on with foam tape or something like that? I'm curious how you get the old one off and the new one on. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

More Power
04-12-2005, 20:16
Body shops use a heat gun (at least I've seen them use one) to remove the stick-on trim. Used judiciously (not hot enough to scorch paint), you can slowly pull the trim away from the paint. Stubborn patches might need a tough fingernail (or vinyl putty blade) and the heat gun. Take your time...

Measure/mark everything before removing anything, then tape a straightedge onto the truck to help with installing the new trim.

I use a heavy coat of auto wax 2-3 times a winter on all the chrome trim. This seems to help, as does the winter front.

MP

Heavy Duty Neil
04-29-2005, 10:01
MikeyB, leave the molding on unless you intend to replace all of it on that side. You will find that GM doesn't make replacement molding that is color matched to your paint. They will sell you a piece that is primed and ready for paint. This was done on my gray '01 Crewcab on the driver-side back door after some dork ran a stop sign and T-boned me. It looks fine when the truck is clean, but when it rains or gets a little dirty that one piece of painted molding sticks out like a sore thumb. And when you look at the molding close-up you can see and feel the difference in the surfaces. It is easy to tell that the truck has been in a wreck just by looking at the trim. So if you are gonna do it, get it all done at the same time.