PDA

View Full Version : 4x4man Question?

All-tuned-up
02-11-2003, 08:36
Noticed on your photos you installed a prodigy and the fuse, well, I tried the other night and failed miserably. I picked up a Tekonsha wire harness ('03 Chev) and hooked up an older model Tekonsha, 9055 Sentinel, nothing, I also did install a 30 amp fuse where you installed a 40. Oh, by the way, I paid $6.00 for my 30, can you send me some from your Napa, mine likes to hose people obviously. Anyway, will your brake control work w/0 the headlights on? I think I might have smoked my controller. The harness from Tekonsha has the following wiring positions (looking at the plug, latch on top: Red is on left side top, white is on lower left corner, the blue is on top right, black is in the middle on right column. Called dealer yesteday, they show the wiring to be in the four corners with the two in middle open. I'm really confused now? With a wire tester I found the red (brake pedal activation) to be wired correctly in the upper left. I also found the positive 12v to be located in the middle on left column in middle, GM says it's in lower right? Any ideas, are you totally confused and think I'm delerious?

Any suggestions would be great, I need to tow the 42' this weekend, pulled it 180 miles last Friday night, NO BRAKES!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thank God for the Tow Haul mode!

4x4man
02-11-2003, 10:10
The 40 amp fuse I installed in my pics is for the 12volt supply to the plugs. If you need some 40amps fuses, just give me an address...I'll send you some. Now for the brake controller to work, you need to make sure there is a 30 amp fuse in the STUD 2 location. This is the fuse that powers the brake controller. That could be the problem as to why your brake controllers are dead. Make sure that this fuse is installed and that it is not blown so you are not troubleshooting in the wrong direction.

My brake controller works both with the lights on and without the lights on. And only applies the trailer brakes when I hit the brake pedal on the truck or manually apply them via the manual control.

My plug looks as follows:
Pin C- Dark Blue --- Pin D- Light Blue
Pin B- Red --- Pin E- No wire plugged in
Pin A- Brown --- Pin F- Black

In hind sight I should have looked to see what each wire from the GM factory harness connected to the harness from the prodigy. Let me know if you want that and I will go back out to the parking lot and take another look. Besides it gives me an excuse to get out of this padded cell they call a cubical... :D

I think I answered all your questions...if I missed one let me know and I answer it. Also, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help out.

Bob

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: 4x4man ]</p>

mdrag
02-11-2003, 10:39
Topic moved to accessories forum.

mdrag

mdrag
02-11-2003, 10:59
All Tuned Up,

Check the post by hoot:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=004654

Go to the link in hoot's post and scroll to the top, there is a section on brake controller wiring/problems with the 03 and how to fix. Good luck.

All-tuned-up
02-11-2003, 11:44
4x4man,

I installed the 30 amp in the box above DS fender well, not sure what location, but looked to be the same as you with your photo albums pics. Upper left hand corner, standing from the DS of vehicle. Is that Stud 2? I also have a need for 12 volt, (lighting), maybe I need a 40 somewhere else?

Mdrag,

Tried that link, went back and back and back couldn't find anything there?

:mad:

mdrag
02-11-2003, 12:12
All Tuned Up,

It's listed under Trailer Controller Information:

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/cnt_mo/TLFeb03e.html#story10

Not sure why you could not find it if you used hoot's link :confused:

AlanL
02-11-2003, 12:23
4x4man...

Nice pictures of your truck. It looks like a short bed. (Is that right?) If so, are you OK to 5th wheel a normal trailer?

I looked at a race car trailer and the salesman said that I'd need a special trailer or moveable hitch to be able to tow with the short bed.

-Al

4x4man
02-11-2003, 13:56
All-tuned-up-

Looking at the fuse box under the hood from the drivers side front fender, the upper left spot for the fuse is STUD 1. This is where you want to put a 40amp fuse in. This controls your 12 volt power to the bed/bumper plugs.

STUD 2 is located in the upper right part of the fuse box and should have a 30amp fuse in there. This is for powering up the brake controller. When I get home I will take a better shot of the fuse box without that white barcode over the fuses.

Also, on the inside of the cover for that fuse box under the hood you will see a layout of the fuse panel, this will also show you where STUD 2 is located.

I will post an updated picture when I get home as I don't have my digital camera with me at work...

Bob

4x4man
02-11-2003, 14:05
Alan L-

Thanks for the compliments on the truck! Yes it is a shortbed. I have no problems towing our 5er because it has an extended pin box on it from the factory. When taking a measurement from the back of the cab to the front of the trailer, I have 46 inches of clearance, only 4 inches short of recommended clearance. I hope to never be in a situation where I need to make a 90 degree turn as this would put a lot of stress on the trailer, not to mention give the cab of my truck a little smooooooch!! I am a bad guesser, but would have to estimate that I could go 70-80 degree if I had to before having to hawk-eye the cab... if the trailer is a 5er, you could always get a sliding hitch if you are worried about clearance, but if it is a gooseneck, you don't have that option.

I read a thread somewhere, maybe on this board that someone was asking about gooseneck trailers and shortbeds. Apparently there is something you can have done to them to accommodate shortbeds. I'll do some searching around to see if it was just another pipe dream or not and let you know...

Bob

All-tuned-up
02-11-2003, 14:09
mdrag, 4x4man,

My problem might be I put the fuse where the 12volt power supply is, instead of the brake power supply, will check tonight.

Alan:

If you have a short box, you need to find out what kind of trailer you're buying and how far forward the trailer goes over the hitch area, I have a Featherlite Gooseneck which mounts to a ball in the bottom of the bed, a 5th wheel is the large hitch assembly that mounts to the top of the bed on a couple of rails. Reese and Pullrite make hitches that slide or are adjustable, these are 5th wheel only hitches, Gooseneck sliding hitch would be incredibly expensive, I do know pullrite makes a hitch for 5th wheel that will automatically rotate towards the rear of the truck as you turn a corner, moving the trailer away from the cab. If you'd like call me direct at 800-282-4226 and I can possibly help you out more depending on where you live. I used to sell these hitches to the RV dealerships.

Thanks for the help on my wiring nightmare!

4x4man
02-11-2003, 16:17
All-tuned-up-

I just snapped a cleaner picture of the fuse box with the 40amp installed. I also took a close pic of that back row of fuses and put a caption in there for both STUD 1 and STUD 2 locations.
Just click on the My Truck link and you will see them there.
Good luck in finding the problem, let me know if I can provide any other info.

Bob