PDA

View Full Version : Tire Width and Performance

TH
01-18-2004, 12:59
I am trying to decide whether to go with a taller tire that is stock width or a wider and taller than stock tire? Difference in width is +2". Increase in tire diameter is the same for both tire sizes. I have the 2500 HD Duramax.

Given a particular model of tire design...for all round use in gumbo, sticky, deep mud filled ruts and trenches...am I better off going with a wider tire or narrower tire? :confused:

My initial thoughts are that a narrower tire would have more weight per square inch of surface area and therefore dig in deeper for traction in mud. However, digging in deeper may cause the tire to bog down and bury themselves in deep trenches. A wider tire would distribute the weight more and cause the tire to sink less and float more. However, more difficult to get good traction because it doesn't dig down as deep to firmer earth.

My experience with my Toyota was limited to wider tires. I constantly found myself outperfoming my buds with the full size trucks with the normal (stock) narrower tires when it came to mud filled trenches and driving over bogs with soft earth under it. :D

What are your thoughts? :confused:

I have limited experience in snow...any thoughts on how wider vs narrower tires in snow? :confused:

ACCRASH
01-18-2004, 13:19
As a general guideline, you want a wider tire for mud and a narrower tire for the snow. Your truck should float more on mud, if you sink you go nowhere. In snow, you want your truck to sink down to the pavement to get traction.

Chuck

DmaxMaverick
01-18-2004, 13:25
In my experience, snow and mud are opposite. Narrow tires for snow, wide tires for mud. You are correct for the snow. The narrow tire will tread deaper for traction. Mud, on the other hand, going deaper will usually keep you there. The key in mud is wheel speed in ruts and the mucky stuff. You have to "clean" the lugs of the tire to get traction. Once your tires get plugged up with mud, you might as well have slicks. You need to "sling" the mud out to get fresh traction.

I have used 285/75/16 Bridgestone Dueller M/T's (currently have Dueller A/T's, same size) on my 2500HD and they worked extremely well in both mud and snow. I wouldn't go any wider than that with my setup for snow, but wider in the mud wouldn't have hurt.

For sand, you need as much width as you can go. Narrow tires on a heavy vehicle in sand is an absolute disaster (like getting a yank from one of the other brands) waiting to happen.

Choose wisely, Grasshopper....