PDA

View Full Version : Will an after market programmer void warranty?

Phase 3
12-13-2004, 19:20
I'm looking into getting an Edge or VA computer. I'd like to have the EGT monitored which will require drilling the exhaust manifold for the pyrometer. If I need warranty service for some reason, will they give me a hard time?

I could see taking the computer out, but if they see the pyrometer they'll know I'm up to something. I'm also wondering if they could check the stock computer for tampering.

Thanks.

Kennedy
12-14-2004, 11:29
Out of sight=out of mind.

As for the probe, the safest thing to do is add a dedicated pyrometer so it has a purpose.

dmaxmule
12-14-2004, 17:21
Dedicated pyrometer? What do you mean? I am wanying yo do the same thing, but I worry if the dealer will mind.

Tough Guy
12-14-2004, 19:16
Dmaxmule-

Dedicated means, independent of any other modifications. NOT included with a Juice/Attitude combo or equivalent so IF you had a problem and removed the Juice/Attitude the dealer/mechanic could see a pyrometer and the wiring just sitting there all by itself...very fishy.. :rolleyes:

Where if you had analog gauges monitoring the boost or pyro you could convince the service writer you just like gauges!! ;)

Cheers,

The "Boy" TG

crew84
12-15-2004, 05:31
I thought of the same thing about the EGT hole. Just plug it and if asked about it tell them it was for an EGT gauge that you put in that was defective. Tell them that you are still looking for a replacement but you can not afford one now. Easy answer. I have the Edge but I have not installed it until after I put some towing miles under warranty. I feel that if anything weak breaks (besides injectors) it will happen then.

Phase 3
12-15-2004, 19:11
Originally posted by crew84:
I feel that if anything weak breaks (besides injectors) it will happen then. I agree, but if there IS AN INJECTOR issue...do you agree that there's a warranty issue because of the mod? I'm also looking at the extended warranty for the DMax. Above the standard 3yr-36K, and whatever they're offering (100K or is it 200K on the engine) LLY?

I want to improve performance. I also don't want to screw myself down the road for something that wasn't necessarily caused by a popular mod that they can blame a failure (injector) on.

As a side note, I understand that some dealers will even install a "performance" enhancer on vehicles that are still under new car warranty from the dealer. What's the deal here? Are they willing to take the install service $$$ for the mod up front and defend the mod if there is a failure?

I'm not sure what makes the most (reasonable) sence, aside fom just leaving the truck alone...

crew84
12-15-2004, 20:08
I have been more concerned that the injector issue will be a fuel contamination claim. I installed a Racor filter kit because of that. Plenty of members have used the Edge and other products without any problems. I have been more worried about the transmission so I wish the Edge would only go to 90HP max. I bought the 100,000 GM extended warranty on the truck. With buying the waranty I suggest you shop around. I saved about $400.00 on it.
I would only use the Edge pulling the 5th wheel up hills.

madmatt
01-05-2005, 19:13
modifcations will not void the warr. unless it is determined that mod. caused the failure. D-max engine warr. is 5yr 100k w/ a $100 deduct. after 3yr 36K. and LB7 injectors are 7yr 200K no deduct. w/ the known injector problems a dealer shouldn't hassle you about a box.

96ccdd
01-14-2005, 08:52
The dealer I purchased my truck from is not only using the Hyper Tech to reprogram the trucks they will also install bigger wheel's & tire's and a ProComp lift kit and he will still honor the warranty with in reason.

crew84
01-16-2005, 10:07
I bought an Autometer EGT gauge. Its EGT probe is the same as the Edge uses. The same two colored wires and screws with shrink tubing. It would take me fifteen to twenty minutes to make the changeover. I have the molded pillar mount for the Attitude monitor. I also have the pillar mount for the EGT gauge. Pop one off and pop the other on. I am very happy so far with the Edge. Level 1 is good enough for me to drive daily. I am waiting to tow in level 2 next month.