PDA

View Full Version : Gauge "Center" Pod?

Burner
08-26-2003, 01:10
Has anyone mounted a gauge off of the top center thing? Could or would a single pillar pod fit? Would a heat gun melt it enough to conform? I want my gauges "out of (on-looker) sight".

Please post any links that may help.

Thanks,

Burner-------> :D

chuntag95
08-26-2003, 09:36
I mounted mine in the overhead consol. You can't see it from the outside unless you are trying to find something up there. See JK's web site as he did the same thing and has a picture posted.

Sneaks
08-26-2003, 10:03
Hey Chuntag95, I'm looking to do the same overhead console thing but with the standard round gauges not the fancy digital one. What did you use to cut the hole? I can't imagine Chevrolet selling that little plastic insert separately should Murphy strike. Murphy seems to be a full time resident here....

chuntag95
08-26-2003, 10:18
Actually the panel can be bought. I don't have the part number, but you should be able to find it if you look or maybe someone will post it again if it was lost in the crash. As far as the hole, I would use a Fostner bit or a hole saw and go VERY slow. You might want to drill undersize and use a file to finish the final fit.

cowboywildbill
08-26-2003, 20:57
I took the little plastic blank out and cut a piece of paneling to fit. Then I drilled it with a hole saw bit.(two holes) Then stained it and mounted two 2" guages in it. I had to slant the guages toward the drivers side so you can read them easier. A little glue on the back side and presto. Also I ran my cables up the underside of the pillar post on the drivers side. I also tapped into the panel light fuse in the fuse box . Now the guages dim with the dash lights and the fuse box is right below the pillar post on the drivers side, which is handy. I used two Ispro analog guages, boost and EGT. Hope this helps Good luck

CntrlCalDmax
08-26-2003, 21:39
Pics in sig show another option for overhead gauges. No one knows they are there except the driver.

CntrlCalDmax
08-26-2003, 21:40
Pics in sig show another option for overhead gauges. No one knows they are there except the driver.

Burner
08-26-2003, 23:36
Thanks for all of the suggestions fellas. What I'm looking for is a way to mount the gauge "off to the side" of the upper console. I don't want to loose any of my cubbyholes...yet. Is it or would it be possible to reform an A-pillar pod mount to the side of the upper console? Is there anyone out there that has or makes such a beast? :confused:

Burner---------> :D

chevmeister
08-28-2003, 19:10
CntrlCalDmax
just wondering how fast does the x monitor react. is it slow or pretty much real time. Want to get gauges and can get the x mon cheap.

Burner
08-28-2003, 20:29
I should mention that I have a SPA digital gauge.

Burner------> :rolleyes: