PDA

View Full Version : Block heater

Meck
12-10-2003, 10:12
I have a 2002 duramax. Is the block heater an option or do all come with it. I have not found a plug and bought mine from the lot and can't find a listing for what came on it.

DalDMax
12-10-2003, 10:55
I believe that the block heater is part of the Diesel package.

Grab a worklight or a flashlight. Now standing in front of the truck on the passenger side look down at the wire loom that is waaay down in there (just above the frame) you should see the electric cord tiewrapped to the wire loom. cut the two tiewraps to get it out. If you need more length, you can pull more out of the wire loom by removing the restraint that runs around the wire loom.

20050518|4|000086|000000|68.226.176.104
01-12-2004, 10:41
Keep looking... mine was ziptied to the battery cable way down low.

DonG
01-12-2004, 13:49
Meck,

Go to this thread in the Duramax 6600 section under Block Heater Questions:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007303

atvpilot
01-12-2004, 15:19
Hey Guys,
Well I have finally decieded to give in and start plugging the truck in. I found the block heater plug on the passenger side zip tied to the battery cable. I cut both the ties and tried to run the cord out to the front of the truck. It's to damn short. DalDmax, you said to pull more out of the wire armor. Is that the black casting the ribs in it.Can I put a slice down the ribbed material and pull more out so it will reach the front of the truck???? :confused:

VA_Dmax
01-12-2004, 17:24
You shouldnt even have to slice that wire protector stuff. It should already have a slit all the way down it. Just pop open that little grey loop thats attached in to the wheel well if I remember right, and then just pull out more wire. You gotta have some long arms though to reach down in there. But you should be able to get enough to get out by the headlight. Although others have posted some pretty cool setups with some waterproof marine plugs or something.

atvpilot
01-12-2004, 18:11
Thanks VA Max, I'll try that tomorrow. The weather is supposed to get way below zero again tomorrow night and right into the weekend. If you come across those setups you spoke about share them. I would love to see them.
Later :D

atvpilot
01-13-2004, 19:27
Well I got the plug unwrapped and up to the front grill and just plugged it in for the night. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. They are talking possible temps of -30 with the wind chill
freakin brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :eek:

VA_Dmax
01-14-2004, 03:17
atv.... dont know if Im doing this right but here is the address to the thread on those plugs. If it doesnt work just searh under duramax 6600 for "marine plug" and a topic "block heater" comes up. Thats the one.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007126

Kennedy
01-14-2004, 06:47
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Block_Heater_cable_storage.jpg

More details here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/dmaxblockheater.html

atvpilot
01-14-2004, 13:52
Thanks VA,
I thought I had it plug into a circuit that could handle it but when I tried to start it this am with my remote(It was-10 degrees out) It started real hard and I found that the circuit it was plugged into kicked out last night. When it did start, it threw down one hell of a smoke screen. I got home form work and I found a circuit that can handle it so when I get home from work tonight( the full time job) I'll plug it in and see what happens in the am. It is supposed to be between 20-30 below tonight with the windchill. ;)

[ 01-14-2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: atvpilot ]

AlanL
01-14-2004, 14:22
I plug my truck into a timer. It kicks on at about 3am and shuts off again at about 8:30am. I usually end up leaving the house at about 7:30, so I start the truck at 7:25 with the remote starter and go out to a somewhat warm (and smoother running!) truck.

It seems unnecessary to keep the block heater active all night, even when its cold like it is now (NH has the same weather you're getting).

Even with the front cover on the grill, its tough to get these things to generate any heat. Its not until I'm on the highway for a while at 75+ MPH - with the cover on - that the truck warms up to 205. As soon as I slow down or get off the highway the temp goes back down.

-Al

atvpilot
01-14-2004, 17:07
I haven't put the cover on the truck because the way the temp flucuates where I live I really think it's more of a pain than anything. What does your temp guage say when you unplug the truck and leave your driveway? Also what does it actually heat the fuel or the coolant??? :confused:

DonG
01-14-2004, 21:12
atvpilot,
The block heater heats the coolant.
On the few times I have used it, the engine temperature is still at the bottom of the gauge when the truck is started. However, the gauge indicates heat up sooner as I drive when I use the block heater. Also the truck does not "rattle" nearly as much on cold starts when I use the block heater.

Don

VA_Dmax
01-15-2004, 02:56
atv, I was thinking the first few times I plugged in that nothing was happening because my needle still sat right at 160 or below. But it really does start to heat up much faster and the start-up is just like on a hot day. The glow plug light hardly stays on for any time.

atvpilot
01-15-2004, 16:11
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the info guys. I found a good circuit to plug into and this am the truck fired up just as if it was summer time and yes it did heat up a little quicker. I work PT at Home Depot so I checked with the guy in electrical and he set me up with a heavy duty 100 ft lead that could handle the draw. I will go home tonight from the full time job and plug the truck in. They are talking with the windchill about -50 below :eek: .