PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Offset for 2500

SoCalDMAX
01-26-2003, 16:11
I'm getting ready to buy a set of 16x8" wheels, but they've got 4" offset. Eagle wheels series 058. Here: http://www.aewheel.com/wheels_detail.cfm?id=23

I've heard everyone talk about 4.5" and 4.625" offset, but will the 4" offset be OK? I'm pretty sure the salesman at the store is gonna say it'll be fine, just to make a sale.

Regards, Steve

big dipper
01-26-2003, 17:36
Steve,
I had the Welds and they were 4 5/8 (supposedly). Actual measurements were only 4 1/2 to the farthest tip of the rim. I would recommend not buying a 4" backspace wheel. I would say you will have quite a bit of rubbing.

Mine only rubbed if you had the wheel turned all the way and under compression...like going up a curb. 6 turns driver and 5 turns passenger
Hope that helps.

Factory is 4 3/4 I believe so I would stay as close to that if possible. I know Mickey Thompson made a 5" backspace wheel that a few were running and no caliper issues but I remember someone here saying a 5" Centerline would touch the caliper. I would try to get a 5 or 4 3/4 if it were mine.

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: big dipper ]</p>

SoMnDMAX
01-26-2003, 22:56
Steve, if you're going to be running 285's on the 4" wheels, your tires will rub a bunch.

Even with 4 5/8" backspacing, I'll get a bit of rub at full lock and going over bumps... If I were you, I'd try to get 4 5/8 MINIMUM backspacing, or go for the 4 3/4" or 5" backspacing. The 5" BSP wheel will have to be checked for proper clearance with the control arms, calipers, etc..

Unfortunately, 16x8's have a limited selection when it comes to 4 3/4" or more backspacing. Most of the wheels come with 4 5/8" or less.

Trippin
01-26-2003, 23:40
Steve,
I walked into the tire store and asked for Eagle 145's and 285 BFGs last weekend. My paper work says 16 x 8 5-5.5. I'm not sure if the guy wrote it up right. They were, however an in stock wheel. Nothing special. I've got 7 turns into my torsion bars and the rear is still just a taste higher than the front. I trimmed a 1/4" from the air dam. The tires barely rub the inner fenderliner at full lock. After 10k on the tires I'm sure that will go away. I'm a little north of you right near Magic Mountain. Come on up and we can put em on your truck for a test. ;)

Here are some pics: http://community.webshots.com/album/61888255YniupT

[ 01-26-2003: Message edited by: Trippin ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
01-27-2003, 13:08
Thanks for the quick responses guys!!

I ended up buying the Eagle Series 184 wheels 16x8 with 4.5" backspacing. They're a copy of the Centerline wheels with the rippled inner lip. I sure hope the ripples don't become a big pain in the rear to keep clean...

I've been getting stuck in the sand every time I go out to the desert, so hopefully 16x8 rims with 285/75 tires aired down a bit will keep me from getting stuck and pulled out by Fords... how embarrassing... ;)

Regards, Steve

SoCalDMAX
01-28-2003, 14:33
I called the vendor and changed my order to the Eagle Series 194 wheels. All the same dimensions, just don't have the ripples. I'm too darn lazy to spend this gorgeous weather polishing intricate wheels... Did I mention it's mid-70s here lately? T-shirts and shorts, yeah baby!

The 194 series look like the Weld Sidewinders. I know they're not Welds, but I'm not going racing either. ;) The shop I bought from is www.4x4cyberstore.com, couldn't believe the prices! $138 ea. delivered to my door! Nobody local could touch that price. I'm gonna put 285/75-16 BFG AT/KOs on it for the winter months (sandseason) and put the 255/85s back on for the summer (river runs.)

Thanks for all the help!! I trust you guys a lot more than I trust a kid in a tire store.

Regards, Steve

jjackson
01-28-2003, 19:42
I have the American Eagle 058 16 x 8 wheels w/285 BFG's. I have 4 turns in the bars. I have some rubbing when hard left or right on my mud flaps. I have the bow tie ones. I use the vehicle primarily for towing our 33ft 5'r, and this hasn't presented any problems.

John

big dipper
01-28-2003, 19:58
Hey Steve,
Would it be possible for you to measure your backspace on your 194's before you put your tires on? I am also expecting a full report once they are installed ;) .
I am also sure you will post plenty of pictures!!
George

SoCalDMAX
01-28-2003, 20:23
George,

Will do! I'm looking forward to seeing how the truck looks with them, although I'm not complaining about the stock PY0 rims in the looks dept.

Regards, Steve

big dipper
02-06-2003, 21:28
Steve,
What's the latest?
George

Silver Bullet
02-06-2003, 21:57
Steve,
Be sure to check your clearance with your brake caliper...my first choice were Centerlines w/ a 5" backspace...they rubbed due to a lip in the inside of the rim. I ended up going with Weld Outbacks w/ 4 5/8" backspace...no problems. The 5's were nice b/c they tucked up under the fender wells a little more!

And a couple cranks of the torsion bars, a trimmed air dam, and a few zippy ties and you can solve most of your rubbing issues.

Good Luck!

SoCalDMAX
02-07-2003, 02:00
Hi guys!

Just got the rims in. I used a pair of yardsticks, the backspacing is exactly 4.5". Since they're only 8" wide, they look almost as shallow as the factory PY0 wheels.

They look pretty nice, only drawback is they're returns, very minor scratches on the bead surface, looks like from mounting/dismounting. I like the design, very close copy of the Weld Sidewinders. The center cap now covers the lugs and is held on with 2 screws, the same as the Weld Wheels. Here is a pic:

http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/eagle_wheels_16x8.

The incredible deal on the BFG 285/75s looks like it's gonna fall through, so now I've got a dealer looking into 305/70 tires, they're actually smaller dia. (32.8" vice 33.1") than my 255/85s, but nearly 2" wider for a lot more floatation.

PS, speaking of floatation, I bought a 4 seat offroad car with chromemoly frame/suspension, GM Northstar V8, paddle tires and power steering. top speed: about 120mph thru the desert with 20" of travel, plus some droop. Here are the pics: http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/foddrill_fabrication_offroad_car_

Here are some new friends I met in the dunes. As you can see, these young ladies are dressed for warm weather in Jan. http://www.pbase.com/sfrakes/fsw_ii

This includes some pics of similar cars - one is a 3 seater with a blown LS1 designed for jumping (Buckshot X3) and the other is the "Superman" car, 5 seater with N/A LS1 (Buckshot X5.) Both cars are in the $65,000 to $75,000 range. (Nobody gives exact figures unless you're waving cash.)

Hopefully mine will look that good once it's powdercoated and painted.

I'll post more pics of the wheels/tires once mounted, let me know if there are specific pics you want me to shoot.

Regards, Steve

matt-max
02-07-2003, 16:46
great looking wheels! for some reason the more 'sedate' styles are more attractive to me on our trucks....or maybe i'm just getting old?
it'll be interesting to see if you get any rubbing issues.

i had to trim the air dam and zip tie the driver side inner fender forward. only a very rare rub now with the baja's (4.5" backspace and 0 degree offset). i'd like to try the 5-spoke eagles (4.75" backspace)to see how much difference they make in looks and fit but don't really want to pay to change them bad enough.

those buggies intensely wicked. they must be a blast to experience!

looking forward to pics with the tires on, especially front and front 3/4 angle views.

matt

hoot
02-07-2003, 17:07
Steve,

Those wheels are awesome.

LA DMAX
02-07-2003, 22:13
Steve,

Nice wheels, they'll make the truck look sweeeet. I like your sand rail also. Are you going out to Glamis for Presidents Day? If you are, I'll keep an eye out for ya. Remember, keep that rail sunny side up.
Later

LA DMAX